Vizzavona

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Sun, May 7, 2017, 21:05

Dear All
I have now booked up for my second GR20, to arrive in Bastia on the 7th June walking N to S. Last time I started in early september.
I have a couple of questions regarding Vizzavona.

1) The official campsite next to the railway station was my least favourite. Is there any alternative accomodation for tents nearby?
2) Is there any alternative route that enables one to bypass Vizzavona altogether?
3) Last time I approached Vizzavona from the north it was the one and only time on the whole trip that I was lost. I remember following the wide path next to the stream that descends from refuge D'onda, and eventually comes out on a steep tarmac road, the first road since castel del vergio. Well it was here I got lost It took me another 4 hours from this point but to this day im not sure what happened.
Does this ring a bell with anyone or is it just me ?

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 5:25

There is only one campsite at Vizzavona.

You can skip Vizzavona, saving height, distance and time, by using the well-marked variant that goes to the Col de Vizzavona. It leaves the GR20 at the Cascades des Anglais and joins it again at Bocca Palmente. It's all marked with yellow paint and signposts. There is a big hotel on the Col de Vizzavona which has its own gite, and close to it is a place where you can hire cabins, or stay on a tiny campsite that they also run. You can have meals at both places.

Not sure where you went wrong. It all sounds very confusing!

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 6:41

Hello,
I only place where I could see a problem arising would perhaps be at the 'lunch hut'...selling drinks etc...... where there is a bridge that takes you over onto the usual route to the Vizzavona with the station but going by way of the route (not crossing the bridge) would not take you four hours to reach the area of the Hotel?

--

Gaffr

Inguna

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 6:42

You can stay in Col de Vizzavona : https://www.lahalteduprince.com/
I was there on April 29. There is easy way to start South or North. It's about 3km from railway station.

Nice cottages, traditional Corsican dinner if chose to have one.

https://tinyurl.com/newgite

--

Inguna

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 9:06

Hello,
That looks like a very fine place to stay overnight and seems to be of very recent construction.
Is it situated close to the old hotel near to the col Vizzavona?

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 13:34

Roger,

to see its position, please click the (updated) link in Inguna's post.

EDIT:
According to the map it's roughly 250 m. north from Hotel Monte d'Oro (towards Vivario). I think it's original name was A Muntagnera (or the owner is the same).

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 14:28

thank you for the replies. As it seems like a mystery to you lads as well I had a good look at the cicerone book to see where I went wrong.

I now think that what happened, is at Refuge de l'onda instead of going straight up to punta muratella on the main gr20 course, a german girl who I was walking with said lets turn left instead (east) she said I could get to Vizzavona that way as well. After about an hour she turned off at a bergerie where she was going to eat/have bath in river and she told me to continue descending on the path we were on and that this would take me to Vizzavona. Well it did take me to Vizzavona but as mentioned above took me hours and hours. I'm sure I didn't pass a place called cascade des anglais or any bar and that is what set the alarm bells ringing... so next time I know I have to continue up the punta muratella in order to reach the place at the cascade where I can turn off to la foce.

mystery solved, thanks again

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 14:39

rosbif_rebuffat,

You went down along the Manganellu river towards Canaglia and Tattone. You were off the GR 20 trail.
There actually is a trail that heads towards Vizzavona (you take it at the Pont de Mulinellu) after Canaglia, but of course you could not know that (not sure if there are any signs in place).

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 14:54

Hello Gaston,
The place where the German lady had her swim and lunch is called Tolla bergeries....a good place to get some supplies. Are you sure that you reached l'Onda. Maybe you turned left at Petra Piana and went down to Tolla? The alternative route from PP is to go along the Crete...shorter distance and more interesting...directly to l'Onda or to continue up to Muratella and down to Vizzavona.

--

Gaffr

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 14:58

Thanks Michele, this makes sense. I came out on a steep zig zag tarmac road and descended that for about 20 minutes before i came to a signposted path to Vizzavona, which still took ages and there were no red/white splashes.

I can't imagine why the nice german girl pointed me in that direction, other than she was under the impression Vizzavona wasn't that far and she underestimated it. These things happen and I still got to Vizzavona, albeit late!

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 15:01

Hi Gaffr, no on this point I am absolutely sure. I left Pietra Piana early that morning on the high level route and descended to refuge de l'onda with its large fenced off campground. I even stopped for coffee there but we didn't ascend again instead we headed on a fairly level path east away from l'onda.

Not doing that again!

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 15:15

Ha... you were WELL off route, but that exceptionally low level route is included in the Cicerone guidebook.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 15:19

Hello Gaston,
:-). You have to be careful with German girls who have ability to lead you away from the straight and narrow....I can see that you did get to l'Onda with its fenced off area to keep animals out rather than the more usual other way round. :-) I have been both ways but having done that I prefer the Crete way.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 15:34

Yes rosbif_rebuffat, once you reach Canaglia (very small hamlet) you walk down a narrow tarmac road until you get to this place http://i.imgur.com/oM9u1Nq.jpg
and then take the path pointed by the arrow (Vizzavona is 4 km from there). If that's what you did, that was supposedly the shortest route to Vizzavona from your position.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, May 8, 2017, 16:10

That route to Vizzavona is an old one, but it was ruined by a forest fire some years ago and was only recently cleared and signposted again.

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 5:28

Thank you all for the information it is a great help, As i said it was the only time on the whole route I felt lost, and not even a romantic candlelit dinner (etc) in Vizzavona to show for it!

Inguna

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 6:29

Don't know about old hotel Col de Vizzavona, but it is near the parking area of cars, across the road.
Directly can be reached from Cascade des Angle's. Or from rail station Vizzavona by road towards Ajaccio.

--

Inguna

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 8:27

Hello Inguna,
Having began your walk from Vizzavona and heading South did you find accommodation in Capanelle or in Renosa Gite? Was col di Verde Refuge open?..and also of interest how did you get from Verdi to Crocu?...I recall that you said Usciolu was not reachable?
I recall that you said you reached Monte Alcudina ..... from Crocu bergeries that can be reached from the col above Asinau....before descending to the area of Asinau.
I left my pack at the col then took-in the summit before going down to Crocu...I was on that occasion going S-N.

--

Gaffr