Snow conditions as of May 9, 2017

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 13:55

This is the rough translation of a post by Altre-Cime on their FB page:

At the moment there is still snow on the stages Asco-Tighjettu and Manganu-PietraPiana in the Gr20 north and Prati-Usciolu and Usciolu-Asinau in the Gr20 south. Ice axe and crampons are needed for your safety.
This is the current situation, but it all depends on the weather of the coming weeks (doh!)

Some refuges are already open and manned (they didn't say which ones) the rest will be by the end of the month.

Thanks Altre-Cime for the update.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 9, 2017, 14:25

Thanks for that Michele. That will explain why the person who went south from Vizzavona recently i.e.
Prati - Asinau. I have been trying to get some further information on here from that person.

I hope that those going early will read this.

--

Gaffr

Inguna

Posted: Wed, May 10, 2017, 6:49

I was on GR20 South last week. Prati - Usciolu didn't go, due to snow, but manage I Croci - Asinau. There is snow before 2000, quite a lot, but manageable. For inexperienced hikers crampons would be welcome.
Anyway - should go carefully :)

--

Inguna

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 10, 2017, 8:33

Thanks for that Inguna....can I ask how you dealt with the section Prati to presumably Basseta and on to Bergeries Croci.

This information will be helpful for the early travellers....and it is noteworthy that this applies to the Southern part of the route.

--

Gaffr

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Sun, May 14, 2017, 17:56

Just checked the weather in Corsica, beautiful clear sunny days this week, highs of 26-27 C. So it's looking promising for the early few.

mathewf

Posted: Tue, May 16, 2017, 16:54

Just got to asco stagnu heading S -> N. I started on 6th May.
First snow was on Alcudina (a lot) where I was caught in an early afternoon hailstorm/whiteout.
Both South and North of refuge usciolo had some difficult / icy sections.
Getting from Petra Piana to manganu was the most difficult section I encountered and as expected quite a lot of snow and ice going over Monte cinto today. Did not attempt to summit.
Hope this helps anyone, have encountered a lot of people trying to trek sans crampons and having to make other plans. But it has been warm the last week.

Thambidge

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 5:09

Is it possible to rent an ice axe and crampons anywhere in Corsica? I'm hoping to hike south --> north from the midpoint starting tomorrow (May 19).

--

TH

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 5:44

Hi Thambidge, I'm sure I have seen this same question on here a long time ago. No, I don't think you will be able to rent them.
Word of advice, unless your boots are actually designed to take a crampon don't bother.

If I was you I would just use 2 trekking poles and go for it. That worked for me on Ice in Nepal last year.