Late May re-supplies and snow?

Eegs

Posted: Sat, May 13, 2017, 17:46

Hi all, great to read all the information on here, it's very helpful. We are hoping to walk the northern part of the GR20 in the last week of May, depending on snow and weather. Does anyone know where we would be likely to find food along the route...or should we be carrying enough for the whole section at this time of year? We have not been on the GR20 before but have done many other multi-day mountain hikes carrying all supplies so we don't mind carrying food but it would be much nicer to carry less and eat more fresh food if possible!

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 14, 2017, 6:22

Hello,
Very dependent upon the the retreating snow as you are aware.
Best start for the Northern section could well be from Vizzavona and then you should be heading into hopefully into improving conditions? My only experience with this early on the route was from the South beginning in Conca on the 1st of June four years ago when then with a great deal more snow that this year? it all worked out fine on my way North to Calvi.
Good to keep in touch with what is happening via the Randoblog website.
http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.co.uk
Regular images from the 'parks folks' work on the trail. Recently mostly from the Southern parts which appear to be clearing and with refuges opening up for business.
At the 'most lean for food, if refuges still not open'....Calinzana or Vizzavona at both ends of the Northern stages with have food supplies. If heading North from Calinzana you will probably get supplies at l'Onda,
Tolla bergeries if going by the lower route, Col de Viergo and at Haut Ascu and maybe at others refuges if up and running.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, May 14, 2017, 14:53

Yep... it all depends when they are stocked and open for business. I did a late May start once, got my supplies in Calinzana, then had to wait at Haut Asco until someone could be bothered to open the refuge store for hungry hikers, then got supplies at Vizzavona. After that, everything was open.

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Sun, May 14, 2017, 18:26

Hi Eegs, also bear in mind the decent restaurant at the Hotel castel di vergio is open all year. Alongside Vizzavona and bergerie d'capanelle (in south) it was the best meal I had over the whole route and good breakfast buffet too.

GRRR20 mentioned the store at haut asco is shut, cafe/restaurants there should be open though for the road tourists? correct me if i'm wrong GRRR20

I know it's not exactly 'roughing it' eating in these places, but like you I also tried carrying several days food at a time then soon found to my cost that I wasnt getting enough food in me, northern stages in particular are energy sapping.

Eegs

Posted: Mon, May 15, 2017, 11:20

Thanks for all the great feedback. We will be more than happy to sacrifice "roughing it" a little bit to eat some real food along the way!

I seem to remember from elsewhere on the forum that someone was heading off on part of the route yesterday/today...hopefully they will report back on snow conditions and what is open when they return!

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, May 15, 2017, 16:00

I wasn't saying that the refuge store at Haut Asco was closed at the moment. I was saying that it was closed once when I was there late in May. Even though the refuge guardian was there, and a dozen hungry hikers were willing to pay good money for food, it turned out that she was a creature of habit and wouldn't open the store until her self-appointed hour. Sure, you can have an expensive meal at the hotel restaurant or the cafe, but if you just want food to cook your own meals, then you either go to the store at the right time, or go hungry.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, May 15, 2017, 16:49

Hello,
As I recall there were a few folks that indicated that they going to start the Traverse in early May.
Maybe that they do not have the means, like myself, to send reports to the Forum of where they are or what the conditions on the trail are like. We have to wait until they finish their tour.

--

Gaffr

mathewf

Posted: Tue, May 16, 2017, 17:55

I today bought some saucisson, fromage and an orange from the bar at haut asco, they're still cleaning the refuge so it's not officially open yet.
tighjettu was open with a gardien/supplies (6€ beer).
Hotel castel... also has a few supplies Inc bread.
No gardien at ciotullu di mori, manganu, they were doing repairs at Petra piana and l'onda was a dirty mice infested mess sans gardien.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 9:03

With l'Onda, the guardian doesn't live at the refuge, but lives down at the bergerie on the flat ground below it. Did you notice if anyone was at the bergerie? If there was, then you might have been able to get supplies from there.

Eegs

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 10:01

Anyone walking recently/currently able to tell me how much snow still on the trail? Thanks!

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 15:08

Thanks Mathewf for this....are you going all the way down to Conca?
You obviously had no problems on the North side of Cintu up from Ascu.
You are fairly romping down the trail and now past the usual snow covered section between Manganu and Petra Piana.
The southern part of the trail should present you with no difficulties....enjoy the South it has some very pleasant days out.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 15:25

Thanks Mathewf for this....are you going all the way down to Conca?
You obviously had no problems on the North side of Cintu up from Ascu.
You are fairly romping down the trail and now past the usual snow covered section between Manganu and Petra Piana.
The southern part of the trail should present you with no difficulties....enjoy the South it has some very pleasant days out.

My apologies Mathew...I read your reports out of sequence. I now realise that you were Moving S-N and had to use crampons on several sections. I guess if the was snow in the usual places i.e. PP-Manganu that there would be snow on descent to Ascu.

--

Gaffr

mathewf

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 1:22

Yes Gaffr went S -> N over 13 days, I ended up walking from Ste Lucie all the way to Calvi.
There was a _lot_ of snow on the descent to Ascu, considered myself fortunate that I was going down and not up!
Apologies for the delay in response as I spent the last couple of days recovering on the beach in Calvi, & back in London today.

Don't think I mentioned; Usciolu was staffed also when I went through on the 9th.

As for l'Onda, I arrived quite late and in the rain so I didn't pay particular interest to the Bergerie but it may have been occupied.

Edit: Should also mention Caruzzo was staffed also, was fortunate to arrive whilst they were in the process of resupplying with the helicopter. Great way to cool down after clambering down the spasimata slabs.