Hiking GR 20 june 2017. Info exchange!

Nielsbeck

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 5:58

I am hiking from north from 1. June all the Way to the end in the South. Using 4 weekend at the GR 20. Has Bern There 8 years AGP in the region of Pablo Orba mountain. One more info, I am 71, taking no risks!!! Only doping what frels good!

--

Niels

Nielsbeck

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 6:01

Hiking GR20 from north probably leaving Calvi 1. June. Using 4 weekend.

--

Niels

Nielsbeck

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 6:17

Is there still snow and where? Do I need special equipment in June?

--

Niels

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 9:08

You don't meet many people aged over 70 on the GR20, but if you do what feels right, then you should be OK. If any place is too difficult, just turn back and either use an easier alternative, or leave the route. Snow and ice won't be much problem early in June.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 15:19

Hello Nielsbeck,
I am a fellow septuagenarian....75 now...and travelled over the trail from Conca to Calinzana in 2013.
Not my first time though having spent some time in my sixties with five visits to the island for both the GR20 and five other trails in Corse. You will enjoy every minute of the experience in Corsica.
Lets us all know how you found the traverse.
This year I am heading for the Mercantour for a few days out on the GR52 trail.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 15:38

The GR52 through Mercantour is a great trail. There are some stretches that compare with the tough parts of the GR20, but most of it is easier. Take your tent, as some of the refuges seem to be full pretty much all of the time.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 19:13

Hello GR20,
Yes I am taking the tent with me to enable stays in a campsite at the beginning in the village and at the finish prior to getting back home from Menton and Nice. My budget would not extend to paying for a hotel or whatever in either town.
Do I have to secrete away somewhere at a distance from the refuge or is it possible to camp near to the refuge?....and do the French still have the rule of camping only between the hours of 1900-0700 hours?
I don't at all mind buying a meal in the refuge or staying in one on a selected night and I do have a reciprocal rights card that in Switzerland allows you a reduced rate in the refuge and I think that does extend to France.

My apologies for being a bit off topic on this one that originated as a question re GR20.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 19:48

When I walked the GR52, I noticed the usual notices forbidding camping, but allowing for a 7-7 bivouac. I stayed in a couple of refuges, but also used my tent a couple of times too. I noticed other people doing the same. There are some places where you can't even bivouac, and in the Vallee des Merveilles, you aren't even allowed to use trekking poles or step off the path. If in doubt about where you can camp, ask at the refuges. The really crowded refuges, such as Merveilles, offer an extensive hummocky area for camping, and you can still use the facilities or sign up for meals.

Nielsbeck

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 20:00

Hii! Thanks, I shall wright here about ny experiances on GR20 from 1. June. Good to here from another oldie! I shall take the time needed. 4 weekend should do! Somebody writer that you Can always go back og neccesary! Last year I did 680 km in 2 steps from Oslo to Trondheim in Norway. I have 10 kg. Included Ester in ny back. This is ultra lightwaight StuffIt included rent, madress, sleeping savn and so on! Finishing the 180 km in end June with sone days in rent at a Camp somewhere in south Corsica. Actually I am from Copenhagen, Denmark. Did hike on the Island in 1968 23 years old. A bortlede of milk 1,20 fremviser franc a litter of vine 1 french franc.

--

Niels

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 5:37

Hello,
Many thanks for that information GR20.

Nielsbeck......It would be good to hear about how you find this years visit when compared with how you found the trail in 1968. When I first went to France in 1959 'old francs' were in use then ...... when you were there in 1968 'new francs' were used ....a simple? swap 100 to become 1. :-) and now euros.

--

Gaffr

Nielsbeck

Posted: Fri, May 19, 2017, 14:04

28. Maj I start GR 20 from Callenzana! Arriving from Paris 27. Maj with EasyJet to Bastia - Costa nothing!!! From Bastia I take the train to Calvi. A few stops before Calvi I her OFF and start walking to Callenzana.

--

Niels

Nielsbeck

Posted: Fri, May 19, 2017, 14:04

28. Maj I start GR 20 from Callenzana! Arriving from Paris 27. Maj with EasyJet to Bastia - Costa nothing!!! From Bastia I take the train to Calvi. A few stops before Calvi I her OFF and start walking to Callenzana.

--

Niels

Nielsbeck

Posted: Sat, May 20, 2017, 5:20

Yes! I had an unilever in France going There from Denmark when I was 7 years old so I know about old franc!

--

Niels

Nielsbeck

Posted: Fri, May 26, 2017, 15:27

26.maj
Leaving from Paris Charles de Gaulle tomorrow direct to Calvi by Air France. Plan is to walk direct back of the AirPort to Calenzana. There should be a foodparth back of the AirPort. Plan is to rent up there 27. Maj and start walking 28. Maj after buying food and water for at least 4 days! There might not be food to buy before start of June out There? I did by EasyJet to Bastia before prefere the direct Line to Calvi.

--

Niels