GR20 end of June, a few questions...

TeamGregory

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 19:48

Hi all,

My brother and I are doing the the northern section from 24th June and I was wondering if anyone could help answer my questoins below:

Do I need to take waterproof trousers?

How cold will it get at night? I was planning to take thermals (top and bottom), a lightweight down jacket and a lightweight waterproof jacket. Do you think this will be enough or should I take a fleece too?

Do I really need to take a tent? I want to camp, don't really want to stay in the refuges but it looks like there's plenty of tents to hire at the refuges. Do these run out? Are they ok?

We are starting in Calenzana and planning to exit in Corte, and then I'm trying to get to Porto Vecchio. I've looked on CorsicaBus and it looks like there's only one bus south from Corte a day (to Aleria), and then one bus a day from there to Porto Vecchio. Does anyone have any experience of this? Sounds like a bit of a mission.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 17, 2017, 19:59

How cold or wet it will be at the end of June depends on the weather. Early in June some years ago, half a dozen of us just threw our sleeping bags onto the decking in front of the Refuge de l'Onda when the inside was crowded. It was windy all night but I don't think anyone complained of being cold. I only tried the tent hire thing a couple of times on a more recent trip - once at Vaccaghja and once at Ballone. I only did it to save myself the effort of putting up my own tent. I tried the same thing at Haut Asco and they took my money then gave me a tent to put up myself. So much for trying to save myself the effort - and I ended up on an awful slope of stones. As for buses - one a day is pretty normal in most places - and none at all on Sundays.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 6:03

Hello,
Just a quick thought...Aleria is on the route down the East coast.... after June the 15th the service has two buses per day including Sunday. A morning 0900? and an afternoon bus 1600 hrs?. This service is from Bastia and should get you down to Porto Vecchio.
Check it out on the bus timetable.

--

Gaffr

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 6:13

Gregory, it's up to you but it's a long way to carry stuff that you may not need or only use once.

I am also going in June, water proof trousers are necessary in my opinion but if you have a down jacket I personally wouldn't bother with a fleece. The rent a tents should be fine, better than sleeping in the bug ridden refuges (some of them)

Having said that, I'm the type that wears the same underwear for the whole 2 weeks, better to smell like a buffalo for a fortnight and have a lighter pack!

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 8:37

I'll sacrifice lots for a light pack. I can travel for months and wear the same clothes every day for trekking. I pack a really light change of clothes, and wear those when I wash the trekking clothes. A bit of cold water and soap, wring them out, hang them to dry, and they're good for another few days.

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 8:37

TeamGregory

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 19:39

Thanks everyone, looks like I may be fine if I don't bother with the tent. Then I only have to worry about the night before in Calenzana. Does anyone know if anywhere in Calenzana rents tents too or would I need to try and book a bed in the Gite d'Etape? Alternative I suppose is stay in Calvi the night before and get an early morning taxi.

Michele

Posted: Fri, May 19, 2017, 5:57

The gite in Calenzana has tents for rent, if I remember correctly.