Mare e Mare nord - accommodation

Rob R

Posted: Thu, May 18, 2017, 21:05

Hello

We're planning on doing the Mare e Mare Nord in the first 2 weeks of July from east to west. How do we find out about booking accommodation in the gite d'etapes along the way? Is there a list of them anywhere with contact details? Also can anyone recommend somewhere inexpensive to stay on our first night at Moriani Plage?

Finally, we're thinking of bringing a light tent and some very minimal camping equipment as a back up in case accommodation is full. Is this likely to be necessary in July?

Thanks,

Rob

--

Rob R

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, May 19, 2017, 7:23

Hello,
Before setting out on the MM Nord we stayed in the camping Merendella....1kl. on the left going south out of Moriani....footpath all the way.
I always take the tent to cover all eventualities.
For information on Accommodation with phone numbers etc. ... and maps that can be used etc.
A full Topo Guide for all the routes in Corsica apart from the GR20.
We Used.
Corse...Entre mer et montagne ....published by FF Randonnee.

We bought a copy of this in the Tourist information shop in Moriani although I would guess that you could buy it on line somewhere?

Available from Stanfords bookshop in GB on line.
Topo Guide 065. 2016 version. £20.50
Probably more up to date than my copy (12 years old)

--

Gaffr

Rob R

Posted: Sat, May 20, 2017, 10:55

Many thanks Gaffr, that's very helpful

--

Rob R

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 20, 2017, 15:36

Hello,
I should have mentioned also a Cicerone guide that we have...Gillian Price....Walking in Corsica.
The MM Nord is one of the multi day walks and with also some day walks.
However she walks the MM Nord from West to East.

--

Gaffr

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Mon, May 22, 2017, 9:29

The Ciccerone guide is very comprehensive. I used it last year to hike the Mare a Mare Nord in September and had no issues following the directions. I camped the whole way - mostly at the suggested overnight gite. Refuge a Sega has been vastly improved since my last visit and now proudly calls itself a 'Bergerie' with various new sleeping buildings.

Of course the advantage of hiking west to east, as per this guide, is that you have more of the trail to yourself as most people travel E-W.

Andy

Rob R

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 20:31

Thanks Gaffr and Andy. I've got the Cicerone guide so good to know you found it useful.

Rob

--

Rob R