When do the Refuges become manned.

PotteringAlong

Posted: Mon, May 22, 2017, 15:52

Hi all,
We are a group of four starting N-S on Sunday 28 May.
All the info I have seen states the refuges become manned and sell food in June. June 1 is Thursday. which means we should hopefully be in Manganu by then.

Just wanted to ask if anyone knew when exactly the northern refuges would be open.
We have been preparing to take our own food, tents etc for 4 days, but any light on the topic will be useful.

I saw a post on Friday 19 May on randoblogpnrc stating the north section still requires crampons and hiking axe. Anyone have some insight on how quickly the snow is melting there?
The southern section is crampon free from Vizzavona it seems, according to the blog.

Thanks.

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, May 22, 2017, 17:57

Nothing ever happens 'exactly' on the GR20. You might find one or two refuges already up and running, while others are still unmanned. Who knows? If they're resupplying while you are trekking, you might see helicopters bringing in supplies to the more remote refuges. Haut Asco should be open, because they have road access, but the guardian trends to stick closely to the rule book and if there is some kind of 'official' opening date, that's when it will open.

mathewf

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 1:31

I finished my walk over the weekend in the North. From N -> S the following refuges had Gardiens / were in the process of cleaning/supplying.
Caruzzo, Asco (Refuge if not the Bar), Tighjettu, Petra Piana (completing repairs to gardien quarters), Vizzavona (small store), Capanelle (few stores there), Usciolu
Hope this helps.

PotteringAlong

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 18:10

Thanks for the advice guys. I suspect that may be the case.. so will take food for 4 days, and eat at the ones we can.
Somebody mentioned one could buy threaded gas canisters at the spar in Calenzana? Hopefully they still have some in stock.