Personal Locating Beacon

MrFaulty

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 11:27

Hi, doing the GR20 solo and was thinking of bringing my personal Locating Beacon (registered in Australia ). Anyone know if this is a good idea? Just thinking as a precaution in case of a fall etc?
Cheers
Ben

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 12:35

It will only work if you can get a signal. On some parts of the trail you don't get anything. No mobile. No satellite. No GPS. Trekkers have gone missing and never been seen again. It's just that sort of place. You need to have your accident in the right place.

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 1:26

Thanks, it has a pretty good track record of workign in remote locations where my normal GPS doesn't get enough satellites. Might be worth taking in case ....

Michele

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 5:18

I don't know about your experience GRRR20, but in mine my GPS unit had a constant lock.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 5:54

I don't use GPS to find where I'm going. I set it to record where I've been. Looking at the recorded tracks at the end of the day, there are some places where there is too much rock and not enough sky, and that's where the signal gets lost and the track has breaks in it. Doesn't happen much, but it still happens. Fall down the wrong gully and the technology isn't going to get you out. Collapse on the trail and the next trekker will find you long before anyone will respond to a beacon or even a mobile phone call.

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 13:39

I would say a GPS is a red herring on the GR20.

I was never lost for more than 2 minutes and on the couple of occasions that happened I simply re-traced my steps until I could see the red/white paint again.

Leave it at home.

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 23:01

The locating beacon is not really to help me not get lost but more if I were to injur myself and need medical assistance. But from what I read, there are enough walkers that this should not be an issue and hence I may be able to save 200 grams

Silversurfer

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 18:53

Ben,

You're overthinking it mate. I bet (like me) you've wanted to do this trek for years. Bring it on and the people you'll meet will share in your (and their) success everyday on the GR20. It may kill you and if it doesn't think of the stories you'll tell the people when you get back.

--

Silversurfer

MrFaulty

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 23:30

Lol, no, I only heard about this walk 7 months ago and have been planning since. Am leaving the PLB at home in favour of comforts.

Two days to go - 3 if you include the flight!!