Gr20 South

Morten Laugesen

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 14:33

Are there any who have experience walking the southern route in regular trekking shoes, I'll be wearing approx. 20 pounds. I will go in August.

--

Morten Laugesen DK

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Tue, May 23, 2017, 20:23

Morten, in my opinion you could get away with low cut lightweight shoes for the southern section, because for 90% of it you are following an actual discernible path. In fact I saw a great many people doing the entire route in this kind of footwear.

I wore Salomon Comet 3D, high cut and rigid enough but still lightweight. I plan on wearing the same pair this time.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 6:02

I wore boots the first time on the GR20. Never again. Shoes are fine for me, but only wear them if you already have experience of wearing them in that sort of terrain. I'm happy with the lightest shoes I can find, but I don't expect them to survive much longer after completing the GR20. Sometimes, they're so trashed they'll go straight in the bin. On much longer treks, I'll arrange to have replacement shoes sent out to me. Comfort beats performance and durability every time, as far as I'm concerned, but you have to choose what's right for you.

roesti32

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 9:35

May I ask how much your pack weighs? I'm also interested in switching to lighter shoes but these are rather suitable for lighter packs, from what I've read.

--

Regards, Simon

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 9:40

The most I have ever carried is 18 kilos, but I wouldn't carry that on the GR20. I would carry 9 kilos there. I carried more when I first trekked the trail, but once they started selling food everywhere, I just paid their inflated prices and carried nothing more than a small snack to eat in the middle of each day.

Morten Laugesen

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 10:33

Hi
I will to carried 10 kilos,

--

Morten Laugesen DK

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 11:27

I have just packed and have 25kg - but am carrying most of my meals and a decent camera

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 11:27

I have just packed and have 25kg - but am carrying most of my meals and a decent camera

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 13:35

25 kg is an incredibly heavy pack considering you will be using all 4 limbs on long tracts of the northern section.

I met a fit & strong german girl in 2015 who was carrying about 18kg and she was really struggling, we left her behind at Manganu and never saw her again. She had one of those massive beach towels, a coffee maker, a change of clothes, spare shoes, tins of food and all manner of nonsense like that.

It's up to you perhaps you are built like a rugby player and can handle it, but I would strongly urge you to cut down from that weight, you will enjoy it more.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 13:42

Call me a weakling, but I wouldn't be able to trek the GR20 with 25 kilos. When I carried 18 kilos, half of it was food and I was in the middle of nowhere, with no chance of resupply. My pack weight decreased by 1 kilo per day as I ate the food, so that when I finished it was only 9 kilos. I'm not sure how much of your 25 kilos is food, but if you can slash the weight day by day, it will make all the difference.

MrFaulty

Posted: Wed, May 24, 2017, 23:00

Thanks, about 5kg of food. I am definitely not built like a rugby player lol, but I have been training ini very steep terrain with 27kg on my back so I think I should be fine. Also, apart from eating at the huts, or loosing my camera, not sure how I could reduce the weight as my clothes are at a minimum. And from what I have read, the food at many of the huts isn't awesome and consists of sardines etc which I dislike immensely. Anyway, will see how I go next week!

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 1:13

I thought the food was ok I was never served sardines, more usually it was pasta with some kind of sauce.

I don't know how you have still got 20 kg's asides from your food. If you wanted to list it I can tell you what you do/don't need and save some weight on your back. If not good luck with it!

MrFaulty

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 1:33

Cheers, there is defintiely some stuff I don't need - who needs a 650g tripod and a 900g camera? Also, I am carrying the guidebook which is a couple of hundred grams. All good, I think I shoud be fine, I am a bit of a gear junkie and can't bear to go basic lol

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 7:01

Well if you like all your gear, then take it with you. I met someone on the trail who had not one... not two... but three altimeters. I didn't even have one altimeter, but I never let that bother me.

Silversurfer

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 18:17

Morten/Mr.Faulty,
I'm on 10kg (Ryanair/Easyjet hand luggage) en route but about 14kg with water on the GR20 (start of July). I've packed- repacked -packed -repacked and really thought about what I really need. It is truly amazing how much junk you can do without. Support the local economy (if you can) and try not to have a dangerous/tiring weight around your neck! or back,also eat anything (diet permitting) to give you those desperately needed calories. We have also factored in some R&R at the end to nurse us back to Non GR20 Craziness! Forgetting this forum is one of them!

--

Silversurfer

MrFaulty

Posted: Thu, May 25, 2017, 23:25

Not sure how you can get down that light - my tent alone is 2.5kg, then sleeping bag, therma rest, and clothes and I am over 10. With food, most of the dinners I am taking (10) are backcountry cuisine - I was going to take their breakfasts as well, but tried them and decided I would prefer to eat road kill, so am taking porridge

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, May 26, 2017, 6:15

Tent - less then a kilo
Sleeping bag - 800g

It can be done. You even finish with a lightweight wallet!

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Fri, May 26, 2017, 14:27

my complete kit list, as much for my benefit as anything. some weights are exact others are a guess

Sleeping bag - 450g (WM summerlite)
Tent - 1.2 kg (Enan)
Thermarest sleeping mat - 353 g
silk sleeping bag liner - 20g
1 spare t shirt - 50g
1 spare pair socks - 30g
down jacket - 300g
notebook & pen - 100g
morakniv blokes knife - 500g
panasonic lumix TZ 60 + case + spare batt - 800g
l/w waterproof trousers - 100g
l/w waterproof jacket - 100g
windproof pullover - 150g
1 box of swan vesta non-safety matches - 10g
packet paracetamol - 30g
small tube anti septic cream - 25g
2x compeed blister patches - 10g
bottle liquid multi purpose soap - 60g
kindle - 350g
warm gloves - 50g
warm hat - 60g
tobacco, cig papers & filters + lighter - 100g
2x 1 litre water bottle - 2100g (full with water)
20 x high energy protein bars - 1200g
5x pasta n'sauce dried pasta meal - 500g
3x chicken delite dried soup - 300g
small plastic jar containing instant coffee - 400g
1 small gas canister - 200g
soto micro regulator stove - 73g
head torch - 200g (no spare batt will replace before I go)
wallet, various tickets, passport - 300g approx
needle and small thread - 10g
titanium spoon - 20g
titanium mug - 55g
toothbrush chopped in half & small tube paste - 100g

Total is a touch under 10kg. will be 11kg once added local corsican sausage!

Backstroke

Posted: Fri, May 26, 2017, 15:12

Troll alert

rosbif_rebuffat

Posted: Fri, May 26, 2017, 19:47

where ?