GR20 phone mapping app

buster30

Posted: Mon, May 29, 2017, 15:01

Hello all, off to the GR20 again to do the South section this year. Just wondered if anyone has used an android app to track their progress? I have looked for a few but can't find anything with the GR20 on. Thanks Sam.

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, May 30, 2017, 13:38

Oruxmaps is free and works on Android devices. It will give you European 4u Topo Maps for free. These look a bit blank, but the route of the GR20 is pretty accurate. Alpinequest is free and works on Android devices. It will also give you European 4u Topo Maps. If you spend a small amount of money with them, you can also access Kompass mapping for Corsica, which looks more like 'real' mapping, but the line they show for the GR20 is over-simplified. I have used all the above, but only to track where I have been. I never use these things for route finding. Why bother, when the marking is so good? There must be an app that allows you to use French IGN mapping with full GPS integration. I only know of Geoportail, where you can view IGN mapping, but not use it with GPS.

Michele

Posted: Tue, May 30, 2017, 16:59

MyTrails app is the one that allows you to use French IGN mapping with full GPS integration.

Backstroke

Posted: Wed, May 31, 2017, 6:13

iphigenie is really good. I predownloaded IGN maps AND satellite views. GPS locating and tracking.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iphigenie&hl=en

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, May 31, 2017, 8:47

Two good apps. I will make a note for future trips, and hope the in-app prices drop.