Update

kazber

Posted: Tue, Jun 6, 2017, 5:14

Hi,

Could someone please update the prices for this season?

- taxi from Calvi airport to Calenzana,
- campings,
- dinners, breakfasts and drinks,

Thanks,

--

Kaz

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jun 6, 2017, 8:31

This should be the first week that everything is fully open for business on the GR20. It might take a while for someone to report back about this years prices. You can check PNRC refuge and camping prices online, but private campsites, gites and hotels have to be checked individually. Meals, breakfasts and drinks cost more than you might expect, and most of the time you will have no idea until you see the menu or chalkboard with all the prices.

ianr8

Posted: Tue, Jun 6, 2017, 14:18

Taxi fare on Sunday 4th was 50 euros for two people.

Camping with own tent has been. 7 euros per person. Two people in one tent.

Breakfast has been 10 and 8 euros pp. Evening meal at Caruzzo was 19 euros pp.

Currently at Haut Asco!

Camping gaz ( easy clic) at Spar Calenzena and at Carruzo and Haut Asco. But not a huge supply.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Ps drinks around 3.5 euros for coke and Fanta. Beers are up to 7 euros. Typed on phone so apologies for any typos.

kazber

Posted: Wed, Jun 7, 2017, 5:50

Last update from PRNC (May 30 2017) doesn't look good. Still some snow in the area of Mount Cinto. They recommend crampons and an ice axe. I'd be happy to hear some better news... otherwise I will have to change my plan and start from the south. To be honest, I don't like that idea.
My starting date is June 12.

Thanks

--

Kaz

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jun 7, 2017, 7:31

The new route past Cinto is 400 meters higher than the GR20 used to be. I guess that has the effect of knocking two or three weeks off the start of the trekking season. They used to say the GR20 was safe from the beginning of June, but now it's not really safe near Cinto until late in June. Walking south to north is pretty good, if it comes to that.

kazber

Posted: Thu, Jun 8, 2017, 17:55

Thank you very much.

--

Kaz

Isabel S

Posted: Thu, Jun 8, 2017, 19:31

Hello!

I'd like to know when I could book for the refuges. Any update?

Thank you.

Isabel S

Posted: Thu, Jun 8, 2017, 19:31

Hello!

I'd like to know when I could book for the refuges. Any update?

Thank you.

kazber

Posted: Fri, Jun 9, 2017, 5:36

Hello,

Gathering from the snow report, I have three days left to make a decision. I can go from north to south, or the opposite, which I don't even want to consider.
Any good news???

--

Kaz

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Jun 10, 2017, 8:41

South to north is pretty good. Walking down from Piobbu to Calenzana at the end is 100 times better than walking up at the start.

Michele

Posted: Sat, Jun 10, 2017, 8:45

You're right, GRRR20. With probably the minor exception of the Tighjettu-Asco stage, where, I hear, climbing down towards Asco from Bocca Crucetta is pretty tough, or at least worse than climbing up.

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Jun 10, 2017, 9:31

Both sides of the mountain seemed equally horrible to me. The best part is crossing the rocky slope between Crucetta and Eboulis, but I wouldn't go anywhere near that if it had snow and ice on it.

ianr8

Posted: Sat, Jun 10, 2017, 20:29

My update Reached Vizzavona this a.m.

Have just read this post and yes you definitely need crampons or walking spikes to get over the pass at Monte Cinco. My daughter and I who both had them ended up helping three others who didn't. There is still a lot of snow. It's solid refrozen snow even at 10.00 am in the morning.

I had bought two pairs of walking spikes off Amazon for around £15 each. They did the job just fine. They weigh around 350 grams a pair.

Have loved the route and I would say go north to south - it's full on from day one.

We hope to finish in the next four or five days.

Good luck.

Ps you will also need two walking poles.

kazber

Posted: Sun, Jun 11, 2017, 5:04

Hello,

Thanks guys,

In a few hours I'm going to be in Calvi, but I still don't know what to do.
I have no crampons and I don't think I can buy them today or on the Trail.
I'm 63 and I don't like to take high risks anymore...
Yes,I have hiking poles, but they weren't enough 10 days ago for me to make it to the top of the Rysy.
Looks like I'm going to have to make a last minute decision at the Calvi airport.

Thanks again,

--

Kaz

Backstroke

Posted: Sun, Jun 11, 2017, 14:51

Oftentimes you can make it over snowy passes if you get a sunny day. The sun softens the snow, and other hikers may have created decent steps. But the hike over Cinto is pretty long, so you would not want to start too late, and the descent down slightly slippery snow could be slow and nerve-racking. Completely absent good information, my first choice in your situation would be to go south-north, give it more time to melt. You could also just divert around it, if when you arrive at the base it is a bad day or conditions are not so good. The sport shop in Corte seemed decent, perhaps they have some crampons or spikes? Even Haut Asco (the hotel) had some poles and other common items for sale, you could check with them. Or buy them off someone just completing the trail.

Perhaps someone in Corsica can help you to contact Tighiettu or Haut Asco? They will certainly be able to give you the current report.

kazber

Posted: Sun, Jun 11, 2017, 18:02

Thanks Backstroke,

Yes, I'm going to take a risk. I'm going to try.

--

Kaz

kazber

Posted: Tue, Jun 27, 2017, 19:02

A 10 hours ago I finished the gr20 in Conca. The last three days I had issues with my stomach. It was either from cheese or salami. The main trail was marked very well but in many of the side trails there was little to no marking. I got lost going to Monte Ritondu. I also think it's possible to better mark the trail leading from Lake Bastani I Monte Renosu to Bergeries d'I Pozzi. I always opted for higher level options for better views. This was the hardest and most beautiful trail of my life. In September I'm doing the JMT, so I will have something to compare it to. Thanks to everyone who helped me prepare for this.

--

Kaz

kazber

Posted: Tue, Jun 27, 2017, 19:02

A 10 hours ago I finished the gr20 in Conca. The last three days I had issues with my stomach. It was either from cheese or salami. The main trail was marked very well but in many of the side trails there was little to no marking. I got lost going to Monte Ritondu. I also think it's possible to better mark the trail leading from Lake Bastani I Monte Renosu to Bergeries d'I Pozzi. I always opted for higher level options for better views. This was the hardest and most beautiful trail of my life. In September I'm doing the JMT, so I will have something to compare it to. Thanks to everyone who helped me prepare for this.

--

Kaz

kazber

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 5:45

Hi,

For those who are finishing GR 20 and returnig to their homes from the Bastia airport. Yesterday i came by bus from Conca to Bastia (The shuttle was from Conca to Ste Lucie de Porto Vecchio). Feeling rather tired and still having to carry my backpack, I was unable to partake in any sightseeing. Thanks to my return flight being two days after I finished the trail, I tried to find a cheap hotel but eventually settled on a campsite that was 5km from the airport. I ate the cheapest hamburger I could find (13 Euros) and decided to return to the airport and walk the 5.7 km to the L Esperanza campsite. The shuttle from
Bastia to the airport cost 9 Euros. It was possible to disembark the shuttle that goes from Conca to Bastia at the airport. The taxi ride from the airport to the camp cost 20 Euros but I decided to walk to the campsite which only took around 1 hour. The camp is very big and clean. The showers have hot water. There was however no possibility to buy any basic food.
There was an option to order a meal for dinner but no one did. I also did not order dinner because of my rather unpleasant experiences with my stomach on the trail. Despite not ordering food, everyone at the campsite was drinking, whether it was cheap wine, beer, or drinks. The beach is a 10 minute walk from the campsite. I'm going today.

--

Kaz

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 6:28

Hello,
I too did not like the camping Les Sables Rouge a few Kls. out from Bastia.....don't have any problem with the folks running the site....but most of the users were car-bourne folks using the site as a last stop prior to getting the Ferry in Bastia. They did not care about where they left rubbish etc., were noisy and all the rest and was not somewhere that we enjoyed staying in. That was on a previous trip eight years ago.In 2013, with this knowledge, after finishing the GR20 from the South I went straight out to Camping Esperanza walking out from the train station.
In 2013 it was quite an exciting time to be around this area with all the preparations going on for the first stage of that years Le Tour about to hit the island.
I liked staying there....quiet and peaceful place and the elderly folks running the site were very helpful and lent me one of their cycles to get into a food shop close to the Armand Cesari football stadium and that allowed me a visit to the Lagoon area and also a visit to the ancient holy place at Canonica. I stayed there for three days before walking to the Airport.
In the days before retirement, more disposable funds then, we stayed a few times at the two star Hotel Posta-Vecchia close to the old harbour in Bastia when arriving on the Ferry from Nice.

--

Gaffr