GR20 in 6/7 days

ACH

Posted: Mon, Jun 12, 2017, 4:31

We're a group of 4 that will be doing the GR20 in mid Sept this year. We want to complete it in 6 or 7 days (north to south), so does anybody have a suggested itinerary to balance the walk out over that many days? And yep we're confident we're fit enough.

Also, we want to keep a degree of flexibility, so do we need to book the refuges at this time of year or can we just turn up and get a bed and meal?

Thanks.

--

ACH

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jun 12, 2017, 14:19

I guess you should look at what most people do, then just double or treble the distance and see how it goes. Trying to get from Calinzana to Haut Asco in a day would be something that 99% of trekkers would never consider, but that's the sort of thing you might have to do.

If you book refuges, then you still have to be able to reach them. If you don't book them and they are full when you get there, you might still get a hire tent.

Backstroke

Posted: Tue, Jun 13, 2017, 4:34

What GRRR 20 said. There are not a ton of in-between stage alternatives, so at 7 days you would be essentially just doing double days. I think your big choice would be between the high-route variations or the lower routes, and that choice may be limited by the weather on a particular day. I have no knowledge of September conditions. You might want to leave at least one spare day in your travel bookings for super-bad weather or injuries.