Reaching the Calenzana / Transportation / September

zazaza22

Posted: Mon, Jun 26, 2017, 9:41

Hi Everyone,

I will hike entire GR20 (N->S) on September this year with my father. I'm struggling with transportation to the head of the trail (Calenzanza).

We fly to Pisa on 01.09 then catch the train to Livorno. Then ferry to Bastia. Ferry arrives to Bastia at 18:15. I know this is too late to catch any train/bus but we can wait till the next day (if there is no other options) but:

The new timetable on http://www.corsicabus.org shows that the train, stops on the different stations. Previously there were information that if you want to reach Calenzana on foot ask for the Camp Raffalli or Dolce Vita REQUEST stops.
Now these stops are not mentioned in the new time table. One with the name of the trail is: U Flumeseccu Alzeta (GR20) - I can not locate it on the map.
Do you have any expirience with it? How long from this stop is to the head of the trail. Maybe it's better to go to Calvi and then find something to Calenzana?

Maybe some of you going from Bastia to Calenzana (or Calvi) this date (01.09) or even will be on the same ferry and have two free seats in car. Any offers higly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paweł

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 13:28

Your best bet is to reach Calvi by train and either take the bus to Calenzana or taxi (45 Eur, can be split with other passengers). I took this taxi 3 times, once w/ a Polish lady driver (Beata) :-)
As for train timetables -- the ones currently listed are for the Summer; make sure you are looking at timetables for September. (Same for bus schedule). I hiked this route 3 times in September and I am likely to do it again this year. Enjoy!

--

--Jacek

zazaza22

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 13:40

Thanks for the advice!

Maybe do you have any contact number, facebook etc to Beata, I'm from Poland too. It's nice to find someone abroad who speaks your language (not French :P) and can pick you up.

Regarding to buses - Does bus driver sell tickets or it needs to be bought before in the bus station?

I'm glad that we travel before 3rd September because it looks like after this date trains/buses services are really minor.

Do you have any experience with this operator: http://www.rapides-bleus.com/ it looks like a good option to return after the entire trip.

Paweł

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 14:00

Taxi Biancardini: Beata 06 71 63 94 28, or her husband Francois 06 85 90 09 74. Big Audi that can take 4 people w/ backpacks. On the train you may talk to other people w/ backpacks to find those heading to Calenzana. Sharing is a great option, can come down to 10 Eur per person and the taxi drivers don't mind. Definitely a better option than walking and only minimally more expensive than the shuttle bus at about 8 Eur. The bus service Calvi-Calenzana may run only twice a day, I remember it was possibly at 15:30.

http://www.beauxvoyagesencorse.com/voyage-transport_autocar_ligne_reguli...

Pay attention to dates on timetables, things change in September, weekend hours may be different etc.
Learn some French, it will be very helpful.

--

--Jacek

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 14:19

I checked again. The train stops before Calvi (end of line) would mean a 10km+ walk to Calenzana over asphalt roads with heavy backpacks. If you want to get to the 1st gite d'etape for GR20, remember it is *before* the village itself and not far from a good SPAR supermarket. You can also do shopping in Calvi before taxi/bus. Don't hesitate to ask me more questions; I have researched and experienced this route :-)

--

--Jacek

Isabel S

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 17:34

I have a question: I will arrive to Bastia on Sept 10th, Sunday. I've seen that there's not train/bus that day. Could someone verify this?
I wonder if there's no bus/train, if I can go with BlaBlaCar or similar, as the taxis are very expensive.

Many thanks.

zazaza22

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 17:44

Where did you check timetable for 10th Sept?
On http://www.corsicabus.org I see only timetable till 25-JUN-17. Few days ago under this picture with timetable it was another valid till 03rd Sept but disappeared.

Last year in August I checked on blablacar does enyone drive from bastia to calvi and as far as I remember correctly there were offers.
It would be the best option for me also because my feryy arrives late on Friday and must spend one night somewhere.

For now there are no offers on blabla car but I believe it will appear ;P

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 17:52

http://www.train-corse.com/les-horaires

But September hikers must wait for the announcement of the Fall timetable or find last year's for general orientation as the timetables are always quite similar.

(@Paweł -- write to me at prof.cogito at gmail com and we can talk on Skype about more details)

--

--Jacek

Isabel S

Posted: Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 20:40

The offers with blablacar are usually close to the starting date. I looked at that page of trains and didn't see it clear, as on Sundays it seems that they don't work.
Blablacar is the most economic option if it goes well.