Stages between Petra Plana and Usciolu

Isabel S

Posted: Sat, Jul 8, 2017, 22:41

Hello!!

I'm struggling about the stages between these 2 refuges. I have to make a cut somewhere along these 2.
The page of the park is not clear in this part of the Trail. I just thought about skipping Onda and going directly to Prati and then to Usciolu. I wonder if it's too much.

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jul 9, 2017, 8:35

Most people would go from Petra Piana to l'Onda in a day, then l'Onda to Vizzavona the next day, followed by Vizzavona to Capanelle on the next day. Some people skip Capanelle and make a longer day to Verdi or even Prati. Trying to get all the way from Petra Piana to Prati or Usciolu in a day is too much. Even taking one break at Vizzavona makes for two very hard days.

Isabel S

Posted: Sun, Jul 9, 2017, 9:14

I thought about going to Petra Piana to Vizzanova, skipping Onda and from Vizzanova to Prati, skipping Campanelle and then one to one finishing in Paliri. Is it too much? I have to skip 2 stages.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jul 9, 2017, 16:17

Hello,
Always difficult to 'double-up' with stages on the GR20. Depends on whether you are carrying full kit or staying and eating in the refuges? There is still another stage after Paliri.
Do you use the PD Cicerone guide for the route? plenty of useful info. on timings and distances etc. within.

--

Gaffr

Isabel S

Posted: Sun, Jul 9, 2017, 16:40

Yes, I use it. The problem is that I have to double some laps, as I have 12 days for finishing it.
Yes, after Paliri it would be one stage to one stage.

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 10, 2017, 14:21

Just supposing that the nine days to Vizzavona takes longer ....and you have eaten out of your twelve days. Train out East or West. Or maybe the only other place out before Conca would be from Bavella.
I forgot to say Bocca di Verdi....most of the get outs on the southern trail are to the West.

--

Gaffr