Stage 4

Rasbanjo11

Posted: Tue, Jul 11, 2017, 14:29

Greetings all,

I was in Corsica on the GR20 a couple years back a week after the tragic events on stage 4 in which they closed the stage down. I am headed back to the GR20 in two weeks and I was just curious what
they have done with the stage? Have they reinstated the original route or created a new one? If they have created a new one, what is the technicality of it compared to the original? Thanks.

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Jul 11, 2017, 15:22

It was all sorted out in a matter of weeks. The Cirque remains closed, although you can ask permission from the authorities to traverse it. A new route over Monte Cinto was put in on a temporary basis, then was made permanent. Maps and guidebooks haven't all caught up with the changes, but the Cicerone guide was fully up to date the following season. They also offer a free download of the page for the new route - https://blog.cicerone.co.uk/gr20-route-changes-mean-end-era/ Click on the words - The new Stage 4 of the GR20' and you will see the new pages.

Rasbanjo11

Posted: Tue, Jul 11, 2017, 15:41

Thank You Very Much!

Bruno

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 5:50

All the ladders, chains, route markers etc. have been completely removed from the original route. The original route is now not suitable anymore for casual trekkers. There are lots of details in the latest edition of the Cicerone guide.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 8:00

Monte Cinto now has chains. It never used to have them, but when they sent the GR20 up the mountain they added several short chains.