Enough Refuges on G20?

Doreen

Posted: Tue, Jul 11, 2017, 22:25

Hi all,

Everything planned so far, just got a bit puzzled now when I tried to book the huts, as some seem to be missing on the website of Parc naturel régional de Corse.

We wanted to spend the nights in

9.8. Paliri
10.8. Asinao
11.8 Usciolu
12.8. Prati
13.8. Capanelle
14.8. Vizzavona
15.8. Onda
16.8. Petra Piana
17.8. Manganu
18.8. Castel di Verghio
19.8. Tighjettu
20.8. Haut Asco
21.8. Carrozzu
22.8. Orto di u Piobbu

But on http://reserver.sitecresa.fr/centraleresa/parcnaturel there seems to be nothing in Capanelle and Vizzavona. I see on the map that Vizzavona is a village and might have accomodation. But Capanelle?

Also I don't find the Castel die Verghio hut, only Ciotullu di i mori, which is very (too?) far from Manganu for a day's hike.

Can anyone clarify? We planned to hike without tent, just sleeping bags and mats.

Thanks.
Doreen

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 4:08

The Capanelle refuge is closed for roof repairs, but there are two other options only 5 our 10 minutes away. The closest is a place called U Fugone, but the other one, U Renosu, is better. At Vizzavona the nearest thing to refuge is provided by a bar, and after that it gets expensive, with a hotel in the village and another on the main road. You can skip Vizzavona, but it sounds as if you're traveling without a guidebook, so you would have to figure our how to get to Col de Vizzavona for other budget options. There is no refuge at Castel di Vergio. A hotel provides accommodation and they built their own gite d'etape. None of these places are listed on the PNRC website. They only give information about their own refuges.

Doreen

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 5:35

This is very helpful information, thank you so much. I thought I can go without a guidebook if I have good maps, but seems like I should get one. Any recommendations?

Bruno

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 5:48

Yes, if you have good maps and if you know where the refuges are, you can easily go without a guidebook.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 5:55

Hello,
As GR20 has said there is a lot more places to stay than at the PNRC refuges.
I guess that for myself being a tent user that there are many more options and it is easy to vary the schedule during the walk being not tied into reaching a 'pre-ordered' bed-space in a refuge. The downside of this that you have to carry all of the kit needed for a tented overnight.
I have camped at Auberge u Vallone that also offers accommodation, the Vergio hotel has several types of places to stay. At Vizzavona I had a night in the I Laricci dortoir, have camped at Bocca di Verdi where the restaurant offers bednights in small chalets. Slightly off the main trail at Croci where I camped there is Hostel type accommodation.
Have never stayed at Bavella, that is within a short distance from Paliri, the restaurant there has Hostel accommodation.
The Capanelle refuge is more like a Scottish Bothy....no facilities or guardian so to stay there... you would have to have the kit carried by a camper.
The PD guidebook will give you the positions of the PNRC and the other places to stay and much more info.

--

Gaffr

Isabel S

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 6:21

I booked a private refuge in Vizzavona, 20€.

I'll skip Campanelle and the next ones are already booked.

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 8:05

A map will tell you where to go and it will give a certain amount of information about how steep the ground is, but a decent guidebook will tell you if you have to use your hands on rock, or if you will be tripping over stones, or need to watch for other problems. It is also useful to know about all the places you can stay, not just the PNRC refuges, and places to eat and drink or buy food. It's also useful to know where you can leave the trail, and whether there is a bus going somewhere useful. It's also a good idea to talk to anyone coming the other way. They will tell you exactly what lies ahead.

Sophie B

Posted: Wed, Jul 12, 2017, 13:47

When we were there the week before last, U Renoso was all shut up and didn't look like it would be opening any time soon.........

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jul 13, 2017, 5:53

Hello,
Well that is bad news. Mostly camped on the GR20 but after a very wet night and day coming from the South on the trail I was pleased to find a warm stove and welcome at U Renosu...and the food was also good.
Just thinking about it the only other night 'indoors' on the GR20 was in the dortoir of the Laricci in Vizzavona.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jul 13, 2017, 6:40

I don't know how reliable the folks at U Renosu are. Back in 2011 they were also closed.

Sophie B

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 16:45

We stayed in a hire tent at U Fugone the other week and ate in the Gite - the food was good and we were more than happy. Although there was very heavy rain and thunderstorms that night. The base of the hire tent was NOT waterproof and the bottom of their sleeping mats got soaked - fortunately our stuff didn't get wet. All the wooden signs for U Renso (that are displayed back down the road) had been taken down.

Doreen

Posted: Sat, Jul 15, 2017, 14:05

@Sophie B: So in the rented tents one gets sleeping mats as well? Is that standard? That would free us of some more grams to carry (and, as you say, is less trouble if things get wet)

Sophie B

Posted: Sat, Jul 15, 2017, 14:27

Hi Doreen - yes I think the rented tents all come with sleeping mats - although I'm not 100% - you might want someone else to confirm this. Also you may have to book to be sure of getting a tent. We camped in our own tents most of the time, so only actually rented the tent the one time at U Fugone - but from what I saw at the other refuges, there were either mats in the rented tents, or there was a pile of them stored somewhere and people would go and collect them to put in the tents. My husband had a problem with his (old) thermarest that he took, and at a number of sites he went and asked to borrow a spare sleeping mat for the night (we had a day off at Vizzavona and got the train to Corte to buy him a new one in the end).