GR20 Bus Stops & Itinerary

msptosfo95

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 19:42

Hi Everyone!

I've tried searching the past blog posts for info on bus pickup / drop off sites without much luck. I'll be arriving into Bastia on a Wednesday, taking the bus to Calenzana. I plan to finish the trek in 12 days, so I'd be looking to catch a bus to Porto Vecchio on a Sunday. Where does the bus pick up in Bastia / drop off in Calenzana and where does the bus pick up in Conca?

On a side note, here's my itinerary:
Bus to Calenzana, Calenzana (275 m) - Refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu (1520 m)
Refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu (1520 m) - Refuge de Carrozzu (1270 m)
Refuge de Carrozzu (1270 m) - Refuge de Tighjettu (1683 m)
Refuge de Tighjettu (1683 m) - Col de Vergio (1991 m)
Col de Vergio (1991 m) - Refuge de Manganu (1601 m)
Refuge de Manganu (1601 m) - Refuge de l'Onda (1430 m)
Refuge de l'Onda (1430 m) - Vizzavona (920 m)
Vizzavona (920 m) - Bergeries de Capannelle (1586 m)
Bergeries de Capannelle (1586 m) - Refuge de Prati (1820 m)
Refuge de Prati (1820 m) - Refuge d'Usciolu (1750 m)
Refuge d'Usciolu (1750 m) - Refuge d'Asinao (1530 m)
Refuge d'Asinao (1530 m) - Conca (252 m), Bus to Porto Vecchio

Is this feasible? Any recommendations? I'm hiking with a dry weight (sin food, water, fuel) of 6.5kg (including shelter & photography gear) and usually go quite quick.

--

Logan

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 19:51

Carrozzu to Tighjettu would be far too much for most trekkers.

The 'bus' from Conca is a private minibus operated by the gite d'etape La Tonnelle. It starts from their property.

Are you sure you can get a bus to Calinzana and still have time for a full day's walk?

msptosfo95

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 19:57

Thanks for the reply! I'm arriving at 7am from Genoa, so I should be able to start the trek in early afternoon. Is there an alternative route you'd recommend, still keeping to my 12 day schedule, than going from Carrozzu to Tighjettu?

--

Logan

msptosfo95

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 20:03

I also found this: http://www.corsicabus.org/busPVecchio/PVE_Pinarello.html departing 3 times a day from Conca to Porto Vecchio.

--

Logan

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 20:20

Hello,
You should be able to get the bus to Bastia in Sainte Lucie de Porto Vecchio....... that would save you travelling into Porto Vecchio. The navette from Conca would get you to the bus stop.
Some very long days in your schedule.
Carrozzu to Tighjettu will be a huge day out. Apart from stopping at Haut Ascu there is no alternative to this nowadays.

--

Gaffr

msptosfo95

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 20:37

Is trekking from d'ortu to haut ascu on day 2, then haut ascu to Tighjettu a better alternative? Both look long.

--

Logan

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 20:43

Manganu to l'Onda and Asinau to Conca are also long days. It's possible to cover the whole trail in 12 days, but it isn't easy. Most people seem to take 14 to 16 days and some even reserve one or two extra days as rest days. When you rush things, it also means trying to rush transport to and from the route. Quite often, it's impossible to rush the transport, because there might only be one trip per day, and none on Sundays. If you turn up at the wrong time, you lose a whole day.

msptosfo95

Posted: Fri, Jul 14, 2017, 20:58

Thanks for the feedback. I have 4 buffer days built into the end of my itinerary, but I'm hoping to push myself through below the scheduled time. So, if a day gets too long / I need a break, I have the flexibility to stick to the standard 15 day schedule.

--

Logan

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 15, 2017, 7:42

Hello Logan,
You have your own shelter/tent and you have a buffer of four days for your stay on the island.
Then you have enough possible flexibility to cope with the walk. :-)

--

Gaffr