GR20 2018

AirborneMuttley

Posted: Sat, Jul 15, 2017, 10:20

Hi Guys hope you can help ?

It has been many years since I did the GR20 as a youngster and have been racking my brains on the route but have a couple of questions about the following:

I am looking to Head from Calvi and finish Corte (head on part of Mare a Mare) with an overnight stay and then reverse back to Calvi. I am looking at the possibility of doing this when the early season opens June.

I run and participate in long distance Ultra Marathons with my dog both in UK & France and am ex military so (mine & dogs) fitness in extreme rocky areas is not an issue.

Questions:

1) As we are driving from UK is there any long term parking in Calvi for the duration? Would the Airport at Sainte Catherine be feasable?

2) Cirque de la Solitude - Reading online there is a diversion in place and this is closed (obviously this was not suitable for a dog) - with the new route is this walkable or is there scrambles. I have trawled many pictures I could find of the new route. Can anyone who has done it let me know.

3) Is the new route official and marked?

4) Anywhere I can get a GPX file?

5) Refuges - I am aware and read that no dogs allowed so looking at taking a bivvy / one man tent - is this allowed?

I am sure I will have many more questions so beware I will more than likely bombard you - if I have not found them on the forum.

Just before someone states about dog - he is attached and never off me. We regularly do 50 - 100 mile Ultras in many extreme areas. All our kit is carried along with his med kit etc and his feet / pads are not an issue (never had one in 8 years).

Thanks for your help and look forward to gaining valuable information on the route.

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jul 15, 2017, 12:05

Hello,
I have seen cars parked up at the Camping/gite place in Calinzana.
There is in Paddy Dillon's revised guide details of the new route for stage four....I had the Guide and was able to get a copy of the revised stage on line...details around the Forum somewhere.
I came across a lady with her dog at Manganu on my first visit to the route...she maybe had come all the way from Calinzana. She was from Edinburgh so having come all that way I guess it was for the whole route?

--

Gaffr

john928

Posted: Mon, Jul 17, 2017, 13:01

Hi,

Stage 4 is official and well marked. I did it a couple of weeks ago and it is no different really to walking in Glencoe (apart from better weather and no midgies!!). There are a couple of chains lower down but the ground is not difficult in my opinion. I have a few piccies of the route (up and down) if you are interested?

I'm a dog owner too and am pretty sure mine could manage that stage with the odd push or pull.

Can't help with the other questions I'm afraid...

Good luck!

AirborneMuttley

Posted: Mon, Jul 17, 2017, 15:31

Thanks for Replies Guys - really helpful.

john928 if you could send the pics or post that would be great and many thanks

I am now looking to finish at Vizzavona (rather than divert to Corte) and either reverse the route or train back.

john928

Posted: Mon, Jul 17, 2017, 16:10

@ AirborneMuttley

If you let me know your email address, I'll send some pics through from Stage 4.

Cheers,

John

AirborneMuttley

Posted: Wed, Jul 19, 2017, 8:13

Hi Jon928 - muttley1598@gmail.com

I am now going to do Calenzana - Vizzavona rather than divert to Corte.

That would be great about pictures and thanks.