Guided GR20 trip

mks314

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 11:08

Dear All,

I am planning to do full GR20 trek (Calenzana to Conca) this Sep and was wondering if you guys have any suggestion for a guided trip (agency). I am a male in my early 30's living in California and will be flying solo to Corsica to do the hike. I wanted to go for a guided trip mainly because of my lack of fluency with French(/Italian) - am though working on my French- and for the company. I did found an old thread on the forum with a list of guide agencies - http://corsica.forhikers.com/forum/p/24732. It seems most of them cater for a comfortable experience. I am in communication with a few of them. I wanted to experience the rigors of the trek (mostly for the complete experience - I know I will have no denying of it for sure) without it becoming a luxurious affair. I do read fellow hikers here suggesting for no need of a guided hike given the trail is well marked and git/refugio accommodations can be done easily. I guess I am trying to prevent the intimidating scenario of being stuck on the trek in some emergency situation and feeling helpless.

Will be great if you have some suggestions for guide agencies which go for the classic GR20 route.

Thanks much!

- Manish

--

Manish

Michele

Posted: Tue, Jul 18, 2017, 16:50

Hi Manish,

Actually there is no such scenario as you portray: fist off because the GR20, as you know, is marked damn well, and secondly because there is always people going up and down and you'll never be alone for long. And since this is an international trail, plenty of hikers are fluent in English.
Now if still you want a guided tour, I suggest the folks of www.altre-cime.com

--Michele

mks314

Posted: Wed, Jul 19, 2017, 10:52

Thank you Michele for your response and the info about Altre Cime. I did give a thought about doing the trek solo in the beginning of my preparation for the trip but finally settled for the guided one. My decision was partly also based on some of my past trips with groups which I liked - Torres del Paine Full Circuit and Tour du Mont Blanc. I went for the authentic/primitive tour and that provided a good balance of guided and solo exploration. I hope I have a similar experience on GR20 too.

Appreciate your advice again!

Cheers!

--

Manish