Hiking the North half

Poppy

Posted: Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 17:53

Me and my partner are wanting to hike from Calenzana to Vizzavona but only have 7 days to do this and I have read that it takes about 9 days. I don't want to rush the trek but would also really like to complete all of the North half. We are both pretty fit and have done quite a bit of hiking before.

I was wondering how long it generally takes people to do the northern part and if you think it's possibly to do it in 7 days without rushing it?

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 19:16

Use the low level alternatives at the start and finish and it will fit comfortably into 7 days. To do this, your first low-level day is from Calinzana to Carrozzu. Your last low level day will be from Petra Piana down through the valley to Tattone, with an option to turn off before Tattone to go to Vizzavona.

If you try to double up any of the classic northern stages, it will get very difficult.

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 21:30

Hello,
I would say that GR20 is right to direct you away from the first two stages....these are fairly tough days out when beginning a tour. Most of us need the full nine days to get to Vizzavona.
Starting from Calinzana you turn right at the signed junction and take the trail to Bonifatu you should be able to get up to Carozzu for the night. I guess that you would have to be very fit to get all the way to Haut Ascu in one day? But maybe a lot would depend on your sack weights? but you would get three stages in one day.
If you have Paddy Dillon's guide to the GR20 his description with details should get you to Bonifatu OK but you will have to look out for the track directly up to Carozzu from Bonifatu. Marked on the map as GR20 Variante. Begin on one side of the river then cross over at bridge to continue on the other side to Carozzu.
His description for the Low level route is to get folks up to Piobbu by missing out the big ascent from Calinzana.
Whatever you need to get going on an early morning start and to consult the map after Bonifatu.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 21:34

Hello,
I would say that GR20 is right to direct you away from the first two stages....these are fairly tough days out when beginning a tour. Most of us need the full nine days to get to Vizzavona.
Starting from Calinzana you turn right at the signed junction and take the trail to Bonifatu you should be able to get up to Carozzu for the night. I guess that you would have to be very fit to get all the way to Haut Ascu in one day? But maybe a lot would depend on your sack weights? but you would get three stages in one day.
If you have Paddy Dillon's guide to the GR20 his description with details should get you to Bonifatu OK but you will have to look out for the track directly up to Carozzu from Bonifatu. Marked on the map as GR20 Variante. Begin on one side of the river then cross over at bridge to continue on the other side to Carozzu.
His description for the Low level route is to get folks up to Piobbu by missing out the big ascent from Calinzana.
Whatever you need to get going on an early morning start and to consult the map after Bonifatu.

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jul 27, 2017, 6:33

It's just a valley walk from Bonifatu to Carrozzu. Just follow a road and a vehicle track, then a clear path. There are no problems. It is an easy walk for tourists who want to be able to say that they walked part of the GR20. They have a drink at Carrozzu and walk back to Bonifatu.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Jul 27, 2017, 8:04

Hello GR,
Yes That is true....I guess that I was concerned that the folks did not end up on other GR 20 variante and end up at d'Ortu di u Piobbu :-)
The early start advice was to perhaps avoid being cooked in the sun when heading South to Bonifatu on the forest trail later in the morning..... stays at around 500 metres for several Kls. I was with a companion who did not take too well to the heat and I ended up doing a bit of immersion with them in the Figarella river to cool them down. We were on the Mare e Monti Nord at the time and while my companion was recovering I had time to explore both of these variantes while spending an extra day at Bonifatu.
I guess also that the folks could take a taxi up to Bonifatu and start from there then Haut Ascu will be within reach during a day?

--

Gaffr

Poppy

Posted: Sat, Jul 29, 2017, 15:57

Thank you! very helpful information. We are now thinking we won't go all the way to Vizzavona so we don't have to rush anything.