Good walks and easy hikes in the Calvi area

Eric from DC USA

Posted: Sat, Jul 29, 2017, 16:24

My wife and I are in our 60s and are looking for some easy hikes and good walks in the Calvi area. We are staying in Algajola. We were in Corsica just last year and stayed on both sides of the island but decided to return was we loved the Calvi area. Any ideas are welcomed. We go in September.

--

Eric

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jul 30, 2017, 10:17

Hello,
Most of us on the Forum are bound for the GR20 so getting away from the Cavi/Calinzana area happens very quickly.
I did have a wee look into the Rother walking guide and there is little/no walking within the pages.
Of my own wanderings...I arrived early afternoon once to Calinzana so had a short local walk to reach the small Chapel named after the martyr Santa Restituta and also the very old buildings around the village.
If your are hiring a car? then there are a few stages of the Mare e Monti trail that would allow you interesting day walks perhaps....Especially the walk into Girolata a place that can only be reached on foot or by boat. We walked in as part of the ten day trail on a stage from (4) from Girolata. There are several other villages that are within a days walk in and out on this trail.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jul 30, 2017, 10:23

Hello again,
Apologies.
I have just realised where Algajola is....a distance up the coast from Calvi....never been there.
I have to say that the Rother guide does have several walks close to the village.
Rother guide, translated from the German is a fine wee guide.

--

Gaffr

Eric from DC USA

Posted: Sun, Jul 30, 2017, 15:02

Thx, I'll check out the guide. 'We will have a car so we'll investigate the trail too.

--

Eric

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Jul 31, 2017, 7:37

Hello in US,
I have just located another wee guide that I have. Perhaps would be helpful with my original suggestions.
Walking in Corsica...cicerone guide by Gillean Price that would also be useful for the stages of the Mare e Monti Nord and others around the area.
The guide does give descriptions of three of the Long distance walks on the Island where day-trips could be sought out.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Tue, Aug 1, 2017, 8:57

Eric.
When I'm spending more than a couple of days in one area of Corsica I usually duck into the local tourist office. They invariably have leaflets and maps of walks in the local area. I picked one up in Calvi a couple of years back, a seven mile cicular taking in the village of Monticello and the Codole reservoir. A very pleasant day out. The hill villages of the Balagna are well connected by a series of trails, and, if you navigate from this site's home page (things to see and do in Corsica) ,you should find a brief discription of a walk that can actually be started from Algajola.
Steve