Some GR20 basic questions

ACH

Posted: Thu, Aug 3, 2017, 4:16

Just a couple of quick questions. I've got the guidebook, but just wanted to confirm:

- Do we need sleeping bags for the refuges? (or do they provide duvets so only need liner)
- Is the water en route (creeks etc) OK to drink untreated?
- We'll be walking 16-21 Sept...if we don't book refuges (we want to stay flexible), what are the chances of there being space? If we can't get into the refuges what are the chances of getting a hire tent? If we get a hire tent are bed rolls supplied?
- Do most refuges sell lunch products?
- If we arrive at the refuges quite late (we'll be doing some long days) will be still be able to get dinner?

Thanks, appreciate your help!

--

ACH

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Aug 3, 2017, 5:03

Hello,
I wouldn't go anywhere without a summer weight sleeping bag especially so if you have to use one of the hire tents. The hire tents appear to have sleeping mats provided. I always take my own kit including tent so I am independent of the basic refuges. Not aware of duvets in the refuges.... blankets only?...a bit different than in some mainland French and in Swiss refuges.
Water en route....lots of animals around in several places so care when selecting water to drink...there may not be much available after the summer heat. There are a few sources to be found on route. I have taken water at one between Carozzu and Piobbu and at a source between Vizzavona and Capanelle.

I guess more chance of getting a refuge place without pre. booking in September?...are all still open in late September?

Although camping I have taken the odd dinner at a refuge (Usciolu) and eaten outside the refuge.
I almost sure that the order for an evening meal had to be secured in the early evening.
Not sure about packed lunches being available at all refuges...never bought one. My own strategy is to, if needed, to have a bit of breakfast at a bergerie or maybe a bowl of soup at lunchtime at a bergerie.

--

Gaffr