GR20 SOUTH between Col de Verde and Bergerie de Bassetta closed because of fires

Michele

Posted: Thu, Aug 3, 2017, 20:36

Can anyone confirm this? Any official links? I just had this news in one of my blog posts but I'd like to know more.

Thanks

--Michele

Inga

Posted: Thu, Aug 3, 2017, 21:09

I just also wanted to ask the same question, as read in the local news in my country that people got evacuated from Ajaccio and GR20 path in South.
Could anyone tell more about this? I am going there in 2 weeks.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 5:57

Hello,
Nothing in the PNRC Randoblog since the 17th of June when the parcs folks were looking after the 'brassica insularis'

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 7:54

Yeah, I did a quick research last night on the usual sites (and yesterday's edition of CorseMatin) but got nothing.

--Michele

Daisychain

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 8:00

There is at present a fire in the forest of Piattone, Palneca, which has burnt 160ha of pine forest. They were hoping to contain it so that it did not go over the crest towards the Fiumorbo but latest news is that the fire has gone over the crest. The area is difficult to access and Canadairs obviously can only fly in daylight.

There is a tweet from @ctcorse yesterday saying paths closed around Palneca:
- Mare à mare Cozzano / Col de verde - refuge de Prati
- GR20 Refuge de prati / refuge d'usciolu

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 8:58

Thank you Daisychain. Please keep us posted if you may.

--Michele

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 9:14

The park blog has been updated. The section affected is between Col de verde and the Bergerie de Bassetta. A shuttlebus is available to hikers wishing to link to the other side.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 11:20

Hello,
From what I recall of the area at the Bocca Laparo on both sides of the ridge there were thick forested areas. The trail from the bocca heading towards Usciolu is through the Beech trees and of course loads of very dry leaves from the seasonal sheddings.
One of the few places on the traverse where the trees reach 1,600 metres.
I have also been up and over the bocca Laparo from Catastaghju to Cozzano on the MM Centre trail ....trees are thick on both sides.
I hope that control of the fires can happen quickly.

--

Gaffr

paige

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 14:07

Hi, Thanks for the update, here is the link from the park blog in case anyone wishes to read it straight from the source: http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.be/2017/08/informations-gr-20-incendies_4.....

It suggests that the shuttle is only running north-south. Does anyone know if it will also take hikers heading north?

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 14:28

Hi Paige,

like for the shuttle running between Haute Asco and Calasima, I don't see why it shouldn't run both ways: after all, when it gets to the destination, it MUST go back, right?

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 14:33

Corse Matin mentions this and other fires around Corsica. Bocca di Laparo will be a horrible mess if it gets burnt.

Michele

Posted: Fri, Aug 11, 2017, 6:07

up

dtmax1

Posted: Sat, Aug 12, 2017, 16:44

seems the route is open now
please recheck somebody who knows french and corsica )
http://randoblogpnrc.blogspot.be/2017/08/risque-incendie.html?m=1

Trurl

Posted: Sat, Aug 12, 2017, 18:06

The Haut Asco/Calasima shuttle is Ponte Leccia based; after a trip it may go to its base.

--

--Jacek