Booking tent spaces

BarbB

Posted: Mon, Aug 7, 2017, 23:27

Hi all, We hiked the GR20 Sud in 2013 and had an amazing time. This forum was really helpful in providing accurate, up-to-date advice so thank you to all the very informative contributors. We're returning this September to hike the GR20 Nord - it's a long journey from Australia so it's taken us a few years! We're hoping the heatwave will have lessened and no more fires affect the GR20 too!
We carry our own tent. I know the Parks service now take bookings for tent sites and I've seen the advice on the forum that there is no need to book. We didn't book in 2013 and I'm not keen to do so now as it ties us in to certain destinations each night which takes no account of the weather or other delays that might mean our plans need to change.
Can anyone confirm that it is still ok not to book and we won't have problems arriving at refuges and wanting to pay for a tent space? I know tent spaces are limited at many refuges but don't want to find we can't stay because we haven't pre-booked.
Thanks for your advice.
BarbB

--

BarbB

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 8, 2017, 7:32

Hello,
Probably fewer folks travel on the trail in September so not such a big problem....I am fairly sure that compared to the numbers travelling in June, July and August that September would be a quieter period.
I have only once been around on the island in September, on that occasion travelling from Pont de l'Abatescu to Porticcio and crossing over the GR20 and then afterwards visiting a couple of other parts of the route....seemed much quieter than anything that we experienced in a couple of June visits to the GR20.

--

Gaffr

BarbB

Posted: Tue, Aug 8, 2017, 6:55

Thanks Gaffr. It was late June when we were there in 2013 and we had no problems with finding a tent space at any of the refuges on the southern section, although it was busy. I don't think the PNRC were taking bookings for tent sites at that time? Hoping someone can confirm that it's still ok to arrive without a booking and find sufficient space.

BarbB

--

BarbB

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 8, 2017, 7:47

Barb,

Since on the GR20 there are no predetermined and numbered pitches (but everything is left to improvisation), to my knowledge those carrying their own tent don't need to book: just report to the "guardien", pay your due and you are dismissed with "find yourself a spot".

--Michele

BarbB

Posted: Tue, Aug 8, 2017, 10:08

Thank you Michele, I was hoping this was still the system. I can't imagine there would be any desire to 'police' tent pitches and I didn't think the guardiens would have the time or be interested in greater organisation of tent sites. We will just have to try not to be too slow in arriving each day, which is a challenge for those of us in our 60s!
Thank you for your excellent videos of the GR20 too. They were a great introduction to our Corsican adventures in 2013.

BarbB

--

BarbB

Michele

Posted: Wed, Aug 9, 2017, 5:37

Thank you BarbB!

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Aug 9, 2017, 6:41

If there are two of you then one of you should immediately look for the best available pitch while the other one goes to talk to the guardien. If there is a queue of people waiting to see the guardien then at least you don't end up wasting time, which could mean finishing with a bad pitch.

BarbB

Posted: Wed, Aug 9, 2017, 7:14

Thanks GRRR20, we must think alike as we already had that strategy in mind, knowing from our previous experience that reasonable pitches are in short supply at many of the refuges. Have just returned from another 'training' hike, up and down local steep hills, and starting to get excited now!

BarbB

--

BarbB