Wild fires

Marcus Hornum Bing

Posted: Thu, Aug 10, 2017, 19:37

Hi
Im planning to hike the GR20 in late September. At the moment, I have read, there are many wild fires on the island. Do any of you know whether these are influencing the route? Or are going to in the near future?

Thank you :)

--

Marcus Bing

BarbB

Posted: Fri, Aug 11, 2017, 23:07

Hi Marcus, as well as this forum, it's a good idea to regularly check the Parks website parc-corse.org as they post maps and updates (in French) about any GR20 closures. So far there has been a navette providing transport around a small section on the GR20 south but no closures elsewhere yet. Also check the local newspaper site www.corsematin.com for news on fires. Michele has posted a link to very recent evacuations from the GR20 route, around Piobbu, Carozzu and Haut-Asco, where hikers have needed to shelter at the refuges (from smoke, as the fires are nearby, I believe).
We are also watching anxiously as we hope to hike the northern 'half' in early September.

--

BarbB

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Aug 12, 2017, 5:00

Hello,
On the 7th, of August the PNRC blog produced a map of the 'hotspots' and also that the closed area on the GR20 that of the Verdi through to Usciolu etc. was now open again.
But I guess it could change very quickly if the weather does not alter.

--

Gaffr

Haydenlytham

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 5:46

Hi BarbB,

We are two Australians who are working in Corsica and are doing the gr20 in September when we finish the summer season, please email me at haydenlytham@hotmail.com would like to have a chat

Marcus Hornum Bing

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 6:12

Thank you BarbB and Gaffr! Very helpfull.
Haydenlytham, can I join that chat as well? We are doing the GR20 from the 18th of september. Mail: bing.marcus@yahoo.dk

--

Marcus Bing

Haydenlytham

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 10:19

Sure can mate, send me an email we will finish working at ajaccio on the 7th September and planned on starting the hike around the 9th - 10th. Are you Australian??

BarbB

Posted: Sun, Aug 13, 2017, 21:47

Hi Hayden and Marcus, I have sent you an email.

Cheers, Barb

--

BarbB

Haydenlytham

Posted: Mon, Aug 14, 2017, 6:21

Hi BarbB,

Got the email and now I've updated my phone and it's disappeared, could you please send it again..
Sorry and thanks.
Hayden and Bridget

BarbB

Posted: Mon, Aug 14, 2017, 6:34

Hi Hayden and Bridget, have re-sent the email. No problems.
Barb

--

BarbB