Cryptic blog post on randoblogpnrc about water at Asinau

Michele

Posted: Mon, Aug 14, 2017, 21:58

The message (in French) hints at the fact that the water at Asinau "might" be polluted.
Following some "problems" come up concerning its water, hikers should do their best to avoid using it or they should at least treat it.

Here the original message:

Depuis quelque temps déjà, la sècheresse pose des problèmes, incendies, ruisseaux asséchés.
Des problèmes d'eau sont rencontrés au Refuge d'Asinau.
Dans l'attente d'analyses complémentaires, pourriez vous faire le nécéssaire pour éviter de remplir à la source du refuge.
Vous pouvez éventuellement utiliser des traitements préventifs.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 15, 2017, 6:40

Hello,
....'avoid filling (your bottles at) the source of the refuge'.
I am being mischievous now it could be that they have at Asinau several pallets of bottled water to sell.
But no, water is a necessary requirement when on the GR20 and I guess that this year there is not too much of it around.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 15, 2017, 6:54

Jeez, Asinau has become nowadays the worst place to stay along the route (burned down refuge, lousy pitches and now the water).
PS ah, and not to mention the grumpy guardien :)

--Michele

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Aug 15, 2017, 7:09

I skipped Asinau completely the last time I was there, before the refuge was burned down. I went from Paliri to Bavella then over the Alpine traverse to Asinau, climbed Monte Incudine and camped at Pedinieddi.

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 15, 2017, 7:31

Quite a long walk, GRRR20 but probably worthy. Never liked the Ref.Asinau area anyway. The Bergerie on the other hand is a much better place to stay. Too bad they don't accept tents.

Doreen

Posted: Sun, Aug 27, 2017, 14:04

During the trek we were warned repeatedly about the water at Asinao. When we stayed there (20.8.), we filtered all the water we trank, but had a coffee in the morning (I know, not so clever), from which we didn't fall ill. Also the other hikers who were with us didn't complain about diarrhea either, even though most of them didn't treat the water.

Trurl

Posted: Sun, Aug 27, 2017, 20:16

Has anyone stayed at Piedinielli? (where The Book says there once was a refuge)
Any alternatives to Asinau? Are tents not allowed at Bergeries d'Asinau?
Have people walked to Zicavo and back?

--

--Jacek

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Aug 27, 2017, 22:00

I stayed at Pedinieddi. The ruins of the refuge makes it look messy, and the grassy areas are covered in stones that you might want to throw in a heap somewhere. There was a huge bin full of rubbish, and there was rubbish scattered everywhere, as well as a food tearing at all the pieces. I guess this is what you get when people camp and dump stuff and there is no guardian in the area. There is a good water supply, but no toilets. The place could be really great, if only it was cleaned up and if people would keep it tidy.

Other places I have stayed in the same area - Bassetta, Matalza, Chapelle St Petru, Asinau and two of the hotels down in Zicavu. I never stayed at Croci yet. It was closed on my last visit but that was to be expected in October.

Michele

Posted: Sun, Aug 27, 2017, 22:17

@Trurl

When I stayed at the bergerie de Asinau (2011), the owner said it was forbidden to pitch tents. She mentioned the park as responsible for such decision. I said "hmm", but honestly I found it weird. Other bergeries have no problems letting people sleep in their tents (Vaccaghja, Ballone, etc.).

--Michele

Trurl

Posted: Tue, Aug 29, 2017, 13:38

In that case, what is an alternative to Gite d'Asinau for a person with a tent?

--

--Jacek

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 29, 2017, 13:52

Jacek,

You can pitch your tent near the refuge. That is always allowed.