Hiking beginning of October!

koren88i

Posted: Sat, Aug 19, 2017, 17:31

Hey everyone.

My vecation is from the 28.9 and i wanted to do the northen half of GR20.

how is the eather usually on those times? are the huts still open?

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 20, 2017, 10:33

If you look back through the postings on the GR20 part of the Forum there will be some information on this. Have never been in October but the season on the GR is drawing to a close at this time and maybe some refuges close down earlier than others....maybe it depends on the projected number of visiting walkers?
I guess that the bookings for the refuges through the PNRC folks will have knowledge of this?

--

Gaffr

rwdlan

Posted: Tue, Aug 22, 2017, 5:50

Hi koren - i will be setting off a week before you and have booked refuges up to to Manganau.

I noticed that the dates available to book were well into October so i suspect you will be ok - but check the official pnrc website...

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Sep 3, 2017, 17:08

Most refuges are unmanned from the first -sometimes second- week of October. There is no rule as it depends on weather forecast, crowd statistics, staff availability...

Of course the huts remain open year-round, with drywood/gas at hand. Hikers may use it (in case of need, and sparingly); booking/paying is not mandatory strictly-speaking... but appreciated as it helps with maintenance costs etc.

Weather is usually fine in early Oct - my favourite time of the year. Expect a short but intense rainfall here and there, a storm maybe (keep watching the sky for ominous clouds...), but still a lot of sun and pleasant temperatures (rarely <10°C/50°F during the coldest nights at +1500m/+5000ft asl).

--

French geologist with a soft spot for Corsica...