Leaving Conca after in late September?

Trurl

Posted: Wed, Aug 23, 2017, 14:36

I am planning the South this year, starting from Tattone (near Vizzavona) towards Conca. I'll leave my car in Tattone as I have done previously 3 times for the North part. But how to get back from Conca to the train line and Vizzavona? The obvious way that I am considering seriously is to just hike back. But what are other options (forgetting the taxi for the moment)? Maybe go back to Bavella for a bus to Ajaccio? Navette to PV, bus to Ajaccio, train back? The timetables don't seem to line up :-( Any advice?

--

--Jacek

Daisychain

Posted: Thu, Aug 24, 2017, 7:30

Or else look into the times for the following:
- navette from the Gîte in Conca to Ste Lucie de Porto Vecchio
- bus from there to Casamozza
- train from Casamozza to Tattone

Michele

Posted: Thu, Aug 24, 2017, 7:53

Hi Daisychain, since you certainly know better, wouldn't it be easier to take the navette to Porto Vecchio, a bus to Ajaccio and train back to Vizzavona?

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Aug 24, 2017, 14:02

Daisychain and Michele, thanks for helpful answers!
I am doing my researches, facing poor availability of 'horaires'
such as here:

http://www.eurocorse.com/fr/itineraires-horaires-bus-corse-02x01.html

This info:

http://www.lecci-sudcorse.com/userfiles/files/horaire-bus/r-Porto-Vecchi...

suggests that there is a navette from Conca to PV arriving 9:35, half an hour after another bus
departed from PV to AJA -- great synchronization my Corsican brothers! So stuck in PV?
Then there is an analogous situation in Ajaccio: no good connection (that I can see) from PV bus to late enough train. So hotel in AJA? It looks like a serious and expensive trip so far. Perhaps just walking back is the best option?

--

--Jacek

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Aug 24, 2017, 14:05

Trurl

Posted: Thu, Aug 24, 2017, 14:08

Daisychain

Posted: Fri, Aug 25, 2017, 8:23

Hallo Michele

Actual travel time going via Casamozza would be a bit less but I don't think the times work out very well. I will put this question when I attend a seminaire about travel and mobility which takes place in Ajaccio late September.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Aug 25, 2017, 8:57

Hello DChain,
It is good to have someone who works on the island? and is familiar with the way things work on the island and giving comments etc.
The integration of transport on the island is a bit erratic to say the least. No problems really for we aged folks who can cope with the difficulties....in that we don't have the needs to 'get home' within too tight a deadline.:-) For those folks of working age the usual is trying to fit the GR20 into a two weeks holiday and that can cause several problems I guess.
I have just once walked one of the cross island routes, hired a car in Ajaccio afterwards,did a few other day trips, then returned the car to Bastia Poretta prior to travelling home. This worked out fine for us. I don't know but maybe this type of arrangement might work out cheaper that taking a car to the island?
The own car taken in this instant looks like proving to be a bit of a burden?

--

Gaffr

GRRR 20

Posted: Fri, Aug 25, 2017, 9:48

I don't understand the need for a car. Catch a train to Tattone and there's no need to return there.

Michele

Posted: Sat, Aug 26, 2017, 14:17

Thanks Daisychain!

Trurl

Posted: Sat, Aug 26, 2017, 15:11

@GRRR 20: about the car: I typically come to Corsica for about 4 weeks, have some additional luggage beyond backpacking, and do one half (so far North only) of GR20 in about 12 days (I never hurry). So I need the car to get from the airport to eg. Camping San Damiano (highly recommended), shopping, going around, and after the hike -- more going around, eg. visiting my favorite spots like Aullene, Pianottoli, etc.I do the hike in the middle of my stay, flexible dates. The pattern we came up with, which also solves leaving the things that don't go on GR, such as swimming equipment, books, etc. -- is to drive myself to Tattone (a nice camping Le Soleil) and treat it as a base, leaving the car and things there. For the duration of the hike I only lose money on car+parking, but I believe this solution is overall cheaper than 2 rentals, more flexible, and convenient, given the difficulties of public transport on Corsica.

--

--Jacek

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Aug 26, 2017, 16:32

Fair enough. In that case wouldn't it be better to leave the car somewhere that was easier to get back to. Maybe Casamozza? You could get the train from there to Tattone easily, then return there more easily from Conca.

Trurl

Posted: Sat, Aug 26, 2017, 22:52

Tattone, because it is a charming camping close to Vizzavona and GR, and where I feel safe leaving my car and valuables. In the past, I'd leave the car, take the train to Calvi, taxi to Calenzana and walk back to the car from l'Onda or Petra Piana. So North works very well w/ Tattone (Le Soleil). The South appears more tricky. I am considering Zicavo link too, and bus to Ajaccio. Or walk back.

--

--Jacek