Hiking GR20 October

marvin schulze

Posted: Wed, Sep 6, 2017, 0:07

Hey guys,
I want to go the GR20 in october. I am flexible on the dates as long as it is after the 6th of october.
I still search for travelmates. Feel free to text me and we can talk about details!
Thank you.
Best regards,
Marvin Schulze

--

Rockhugger

Posted: Wed, Sep 13, 2017, 14:49

I suspect you're having trouble finding walking buddies as in October the GR20 is possibly more of a winter mountaineering route than a trail. Though I haven't done it, I would imagine crampons and ice axe would be necessary and the ability to navigate well as markers may be covered. Its a much different prospect than a summer hike and probably puts those with no prior experience of winter walking/mountaineering off doing the route.

Have you done much winter mountaineering yourself? If so then perhaps go onto some mountaineering forums or facebook groups.

Good luck

Anna

--

rockhugger

Michele

Posted: Thu, Sep 14, 2017, 10:34

Actually, Anna, in October the GR20 is still a trail. In general the first snowfalls happen in November. But with this crazy weather anything may happen.

--Michele

snowman

Posted: Fri, Sep 22, 2017, 6:10

Hi Marvin. I'm hoping to hike the GR20 in mid-October as well. I hiked the Pacific Northwest Trail (over 1200 miles) this summer and have experience with mountaineering, Search and Rescue, and general backcountry travel (I live in Alaska). I'd love to talk details!

-Tyler

SQFP

Posted: Fri, Sep 22, 2017, 8:24

You won't find ice or snowfields on the GR20 in October.
Fair weather (save for the occasional rain-/T-storm), nice scenery, arbutus/chestnuts, unmanned refuges, and less crowd are to be expected though.
Enjoy!

--

French geologist with a soft spot for Corsica...