Outer tent only for GR20? | Corsica.forHikers.com

Outer tent only for GR20?

rawstron1

Posted: Tue, Jan 30, 2018, 10:03

Hi there,

I'm looking for ideas, advice and comments on this idea please....

I'm planning on walking the GR20 with my girlfriend in the July. Instead of taking my complete tent I'm thinking about just using the groundsheet protector and outer of my Hilleberg Allak. Do people think that's a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance....

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jan 31, 2018, 7:20

It depends on the weather. Most of the time it would be OK, but if you get a wet and windy night in an exposed location such as Petra Piana you'll wish you had the complete tent. Of course if it gets that bad you can hire one of the fixed tents.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Feb 1, 2018, 8:05

The first time that we went to the GR20 we decided to take just the outer of our tent basically to allow us have the space to get rucksacks and kit inside at night. At that time we both had closed cell Campamats as a base. Generally this worked out well for us when when at that time the weather was without rain. There was a problem with dust getting in amongst our kit as GRRR has said ....wind can be a problem at the exposed pitches. Prati refuge area can be exposed to wind so we spent the night with a camp at Col de Verde....a lower altitude.
Must say that since then we have a new tent that we use with the inner....lighter that the previous one and with more room to accommodate all our kit

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Feb 1, 2018, 8:05

The first time that we went to the GR20 we decided to take just the outer of our tent basically to allow us have the space to get rucksacks and kit inside at night. At that time we both had closed cell Campamats as a base. Generally this worked out well for us when when at that time the weather was without rain. There was a problem with dust getting in amongst our kit as GRRR has said ....wind can be a problem at the exposed pitches. Prati refuge area can be exposed to wind so we spent the night with a camp at Col de Verde....a lower altitude.
Must say that since then we have a new tent that we use with the inner....lighter that the previous one and with more room to accommodate all our kit

--

Gaffr