gas at refuges

sonja

Posted: Sun, Feb 11, 2018, 10:50

Hello. We will be arriving at Calenzana on a sunday, about noon. If the spar shop is closed or sold out of gas, I read in Paddy Dillon's book on the GR20 that there are gas canisters outside the refuges that we can use. What exactly are they and do all refuges have them? Thanks

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Feb 11, 2018, 17:49

Hello,
I assume that you are arriving to Calenzana during the summer season? In winter No gas at the refuges.
In summer most refuges have external gas for use by campers.
As for the Spar shop on Sunday....I think that it has a limited service. I have only ever arrived in the fading light of a summers evening. You should be able find the shop open on Monday morning provided that you don't start walking too early. :-)
The refuge outside gas cooking facilities are usually basic and could have a queue for use...I have used them a couple of times at the camping Col Vergio ( quite smart there with pots and utensils provided) and at Manganu. I do carry my own stove and gas supply.

--

Gaffr

sonja

Posted: Sun, Feb 11, 2018, 17:58

Hello and thank you for replying. We are doing the trail in June. If spar is closed when we get there, we could get some the Monday morning. is gas sold anywhere along the gR20 in the refuges?

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Feb 11, 2018, 22:11

It works like this. Some places sell gas and they even sell different type of gas. When they sell out, they sell out, and you have to resupply somewhere else. The gas stoves outside the refuges are there for anyone to use but you might have to queue for ages to use one.