beds inside refuges

Anto The Great

Posted: Tue, Feb 13, 2018, 14:37

Hi all

Just trying to book places for September this year - the website only gives options for Bivouac or tent hire... is there a way to book space inside the refuges, or is it simply turn up and hope?

Thanks

ATG

--

ATG

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Feb 13, 2018, 16:25

It's almost essential to book beds in refuges in advance. Have another look at the website, because I just checked and it's certainly possible to reserve beds.

Anto The Great

Posted: Fri, Feb 16, 2018, 11:33

Maybe it's the dates I'm selecting (31st August onwards) but all I can see is Bivouac or Bivouac & Tent Rental... http://reserver.sitecresa.fr/parcnaturel-ortudiupiobbu/31-08-2018/01-09-...

--

ATG

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 17:08

OK - it looks as though the refuge beds are booked and they only have tent spaces left.

Daisychain

Posted: Mon, Feb 19, 2018, 13:03

I think the explanation might be this: a number , if not all, of the refuges are due to be completely overhauled in the next few years, starting with two up in the north for 2018. Carozzu, I know was mentioned and perhaps the other one is Ortu di u piobbu. In other words, the refuge will "function" but no accommodation is available inside.

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Feb 19, 2018, 15:31

That might explain things. It will be a mess at both places if they go ahead. There is very little space near Carrozzu, even without turning it into a building site. I wonder if they will get rid of the bedbugs at the same time?

Daisychain

Posted: Mon, Feb 19, 2018, 15:46

The only time I was at Carozzu was in winter with deep snow. Coming from Bonifatu the snow was only at the refuge. I must say the place struck me as being more vertical than horizontal. So space will indeed be at a premium.

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Feb 20, 2018, 8:43

Hello,
The area of Carozzu refuge is the most 'squeezed for space' on the route. As said earlier not a lot of room for whatever your overnight arrangements are to be.
The three times that I have camped there...one early June and two in Mid June...the situation is steep ground overlooking the path up from Bonifatu and on all other sides there trees and vegetation. In a very crowded area for campers be prepared for guy lines for the tent almost sharing the pegs of other tents.
The alternatives for those wanting a bed for the night are perhaps descending from Piobbu on a good path with an overnight at Bonifatu and then on the following day using the path to reach the area of the Bridge crossing close to Carozzu and continuing to Ascu...a big day out. Of course this would mean missing out on the fine stage over the high ground between Piobbu and Carozzu.
The big improvement at Carozzu for our second visit was the new toilet and shower blocks...that was in 2008.

--

Gaffr

Michele

Posted: Tue, Feb 20, 2018, 16:53

I admit they are putting a lot of effort in the next few years to build/rebuild the huts but it's sad to see there are no plans for improving the campers' conditions. So campsites will remain - with a couple of exceptions - mostly lousy.

Michele