Travel from Ajaccio to Vizzavona

Anneke

Posted: Fri, Feb 23, 2018, 15:08

Hello! I'm going to walk the south part of the GR20 end of august.
I'm trying to figure out how to get to the GR20 and I can find a lot of information, but I was wondering if someone has a 'reliable' plan. I don't trust trains and buses in Belgium, so why should I trust them in Corsica?

I arrive in Ajaccio on wednesday or saturday. I know there is a shuttle from the airport to the train station (lign 8). Anyone any idea how much it costs? Can I pay on the bus or do I have to buy a ticket elsewhere?

Does anyone have a recommondation for an overnight stay in Ajaccio near the train station?
(I arrive at the airport around 14u. Is it possible to go to Vizzavona without staying in Ajaccio? In that case, where do I stay in Vizzavona?)

When I finish the GR20 in Conca, I think there is a line from Conca to Porto Vecchio and then I have to take a train from Porto Vecchio to Ajaccio. I will sleep in Conca (I think) or is is better to travel to Porto Vecchio and stay there for the night? Any recommandations? How long do I sit on the bus? How much does it cost?

I'm stressing out more about traveling by bus and train then I am about walking 100 km !!!

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Feb 24, 2018, 8:43

Hello,
I have not looked at the on-line bus/train timetables for this year but I would expect that you should find a train from Ajaccio to Vizzavona during the late afternoon of your arrival. There are several places to stay in Vizzavona....I have used the budget Dordoir behind the Hotel I Laricci a couple of times and food, if you are not cooking your own, can be obtained in several places.
The bus from airport into Ajaccio will drop you off at the bus station and where the train station is nearby...all very close. When we used the airport bus into Bastia from Porreto we paid on the bus. There is also a ticket office in the bus station....useful for advice etc.
From Conca to Porto Vecchio there is a navette/minibus provided by the Conca Gite/Camping..La Tonnelle. The folks in the Gite will keep you right for information on transport. We used it to get down from Conca to a camping place near Sainte Lucie de Porto Vecchio and then by a local bus into PV a couple of days later....so there are options here.
There is no train service/rail track from Porto Vecchio to Ajaccio.
Bus timetable for a service from PV to Ajaccio?.....I have not used this service. Maybe someone else on here can help you about this.
From what I can see you probably will just miss out on the daily summer service from PV to Ajaccio....I think that it ends on the 31st,of August? Out of the summer season a very much restricted service?

--

Gaffr

Daisychain

Posted: Sat, Feb 24, 2018, 9:07

All bus and train timetables can be found here : www.corsicabus.org

Anneke

Posted: Thu, Mar 1, 2018, 12:18

So I have booked my flight. I go from brussels airport to ajaccio on september 8th (that's a saturday). When I arrive I can take a shuttle, but I will miss the last train to Vizzavona. I have to stay in Ajaccio for the night.
Where can I sleep? I looked for hostels and campings, but can't find them in the city (near the train station) and the hotels are rather expensive. Any recommandations?

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Mar 1, 2018, 13:16

There is a camping site in Ajaccio unfortunately it is not near to the bus station...can't recall the name...haven't stayed there. From what I recall of folks talking about it on the Forum here that you have to thread your way through the Town in roughly a northerly direction to locate.
You may just find some information if you look back over the Posts to the Forum.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, Mar 1, 2018, 13:23

Further to above...There are 3 campings listed for Ajaccio. The one that had been talked about on the Forum was Camping Les Mimosas...see on-line for phone Number etc.
Maybe the Bing map system will show up the location?

--

Gaffr

Anneke

Posted: Thu, Mar 1, 2018, 13:44

I just found that camping. Goggle says 30 minutes walking from the train station, so that's ok. I have no hurry if i'm staying in ajaccio.

I'll take the train to vizzavona the next day then. Do you need reservations for Camping L'alzarella?

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Mar 1, 2018, 16:21

What you really need for that campsite is a powerful drill to make holes in the ground for your tent pegs. This is a site that's best for free-standing tents.