Camping versus refuges

sullivanl2012

Posted: Tue, Apr 24, 2018, 19:49

Hello, Planning well in advance for a 2019 hike. Was originally planning on staying in refuges however, with all the talk of bedbugs, thinking more and more of the tent option.
1) if I prebook a tent space at a refuge and decide to have flexibility in my travel as many suggest how does that play out for the next location? Do I need to prebook refuge space if camping? Do you need to book meals ahead of time?
2) Is completing the first northern half in 7 days do-able without too much of a rush??
I'm comparing hiking in the pacific north west, sierras and have a difficult time imagining the terrain that would require less than 1mile per hour pace.

thanks in advance!

--

Lynn Sullivan

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 5:11

Hello,
My only experiences with the GR20 are having the flexibility of using my tent for overnights. Turn-up, make contact with the refuge, pay for the pitch and order a meal if required.
Have never tried to double-up with stages on the route. Maybe something for the younger walkers but being aged and retired have never had any need to rush. If you look around the Forum there are several reports from those who are fleet of foot. :-)
Also there are several places on the route where leaving the traverse can be made if time is pressing to reach a flight back home.

--

Gaffr

Ash804

Posted: Sat, May 12, 2018, 13:22

We are starting at Vizzavona towards Bavella at the end of May.

How much will it normally cost to pitch a camp?

Also, Dinner and breakfast are no problem as we will be staying in Refuge; can you buy/takeway food for lunch from refuge or it is recommended to buy food from the start point? Costwise, how much will it cost for breakfast/lunch and dinner per person per day in Refuge?

Thanks.

Ash

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, May 12, 2018, 14:12

I am a bit confused....cost to pitch a tent around 7 euros....well it was that in 2013.

And then....staying in the refuges?

Never had the full package...have always camped beside the refuges. I would reckon that all in possibly excess of 30 Euros per person.

Keep in touch with PNRC blogspot for the information on the conditions on the trail....if snow still round in the North probably better to start at the Southern end of the trail. Bavella or Conca?

--

Gaffr

Ash804

Posted: Sun, May 13, 2018, 12:55

Thank you Gaffr. The information you provided is sufficed.

We are camping; I was also after the cost of food per person. Needed to work out how much would it cost - food including pitching a tent.

Due to the time of the year, it was always the southern section for us. Also, we had to cut short our days, therefore finishing at Bavella.

Ash

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, May 13, 2018, 16:25

I could be out of touch with the current prices? I sure that those who have travelled after 2013 will be able to update these prices.
In 2013 it was 7 euros for my overnight tent. I did take a meal at Usciolu and if I recall the price was 11 euros. At the other camps at the refuges I cooked my own food.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Tue, May 15, 2018, 12:32

Pitching a tent is 6€ (14 to sleep indoors). Prices are fixed, available on http://pnr.corsica (simulate a booking)...

There is of course no flexibility. You pay for a room, then don't show up: money is lost. (And your not showing up in due time without cancelling prevents other hikers from getting accommodation... Nasty.)

As for food, there is no rule, prices are not regulated - it is definitely not under the control by Natural Park authorities.
At my go-to refuge it's about 29€ p.p. for a square meal. A beer pint costs usually 6 to 10€ (...depends whether the staff brought them on their backs, or had to hire a mule, or paid for delivery by helicopter, or...)

--

French geologist with a soft spot for Corsica...

Ash804

Posted: Tue, May 15, 2018, 21:02

Pitching is the best way forward for us and could spare the change for half pints.
I will personally speak with the hut for pitching; cannot risk to lose the booking fee.
Ash