Need Travel partner in sep 2018 | Corsica.forHikers.com

Need Travel partner in sep 2018

neha rathore

Posted: Sun, May 20, 2018, 20:08

Hi all,

I am planning to do the trek in Semptember. I prefer not going alone, but i do not know anyone willing to join me on this trek. Is there a place/website where i can join a group of other hikers?

Thank you :)

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Sat, May 26, 2018, 0:24

Greetings Neha. My name is Evan, I am a 27 year old male who happens to desire a trip to the GR-20, but I was thinking early 2019 for my venture. I would like to learn some basic french prior to my departure, and I have just begun studying the language, so September is out of comfort zone, unless you could translate for me. I live in the United States, and no current friends will join me for this hike, so I too ponder how to seek a companion for this trip. I think it would be fairly easily to find a group once you make it to the beginning of the trail, or a local spot near it.

--

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.~Leo Tolstoy

neha rathore

Posted: Sat, May 26, 2018, 6:52

Hey Evan,

I just finished level A1 and A2 in french so i am super beginner too. In my opinion french takes longer to be able to understand when spoken. Reading is easy though. So I am not trying to discourage you, but trying to say that holding off the trip just for the language might not be necessary. I mean you wouldn't learn hindi for annapurna trek :P

I have another friend who agreed.. but we are still planning things. I wanted to do this trek for last 5 years and really never found any one who would be interested :|

you are still welcome to join if you feel comfortable. There are so many places to hike in the world.. i just wanted to check this off my list :) New years might be Kiliminjaro :)

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Sat, May 26, 2018, 14:34

Thank you for the insight Neha. I failed to mention that I would like to roam other places before or after the hike, maybe a two week stay or so entirely, so a small bit of french would be helpful. Your trip for September would allow me time to trail and increase my muscle endurance, but I would have to put a standstill on school, as I was going to enroll for the fall semester. Your invite is tempting, but I will need to consider it further, so I will get back to you before the weekend comes to a close. I have never done a major hike before, but I have played many sports in my days, and my legs have always been my greatest strength, I have patience, and the will power to complete all obstacles that this trail presents, however I need a friend to share the experience with, so I too will consider what I can do in the now, to ensure I am ready and capable of such a venture out of America.

--

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.~Leo Tolstoy

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 1:38

Have you committed to the trip? Booked a flight? Have all the necessary gear?

--

Anneke

Posted: Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 20:41

Hi!
I'm on the path from september 17th untill september 23th. I'm doing the southern part, from Vizzavona to Conca. I will be in Corsica from a 2 days before until three days after.
The plan is to walk alone, so I can do it on my own pace, but I'm ok to join you some day. And we will meet up in the camping places.
For me it's the first time backpacking too. I went on a trial trip this weekend and I think I underestimated it. Walking long distances is no problem, but carrying a pack is more painfull than I thought! Luckily I have several more months to train.
My mother tongue is dutch. I speak English very well (not perfect). I understand most french, but it's been years ago that I needed it, so speaking doesn't go well. But I can certainly help out here! And I'm learning Italian and Corsica has been a part of Italy in the past, thats' why a lot of villages have Italian names! Maybe they have some Italian words in their vocabulary!
Are you taking your own tent? Or are you sleeping in the refugies?

Greetings from Belgium!
Anneke

neha rathore

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 6:15

Thanks a lot Anneke. I am planning on doing the trek first week of September. But my dates might change depending on when i get my visa :) will surely keep you posted.

I hate to carry too much stuff on such long hikes... so i will try the refuges and food options wherever available. unless they are not available, i wouldn't carry a tent if i am solo. I dont have an ultra light tent :(

Evan: I haven't yet. waiting for my visa to arrive to see how long i get to stay.

neha rathore

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 6:15

Thanks a lot Anneke. I am planning on doing the trek first week of September. But my dates might change depending on when i get my visa :) will surely keep you posted.

I hate to carry too much stuff on such long hikes... so i will try the refuges and food options wherever available. unless they are not available, i wouldn't carry a tent if i am solo. I dont have an ultra light tent :(

Evan: I haven't yet. waiting for my visa to arrive to see how long i get to stay.

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 17:39

I have been searching for a UL tent, most are ranging from 200-500 for a solo, yet to pull the trigger, and I will start looking for the other essentials before I choose a shelter. I tried on a backpack with 23lbs within it the other day, walked around for an hour with it, and my hips were aching. I weigh 141 lbs and I am 5'6, will need to get my strength up, if I do plan on tackling the GR-20 with 20lbs or so. I plan to hike the entire route alone next year, hopefully I can reach out to you peeps again, for some insight on how to plan for this lovely trek.

--

Stom_slo

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 17:59

You could slowly add more lbs/kg with time. Starting with full pack immediately can be tough. Been there done that :) For getting into shape that is.

I plan to start the hike September 3rd. Hopefully weather will be nice.

neha rathore

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 8:20

hi Stom_slo,

Those are the dates i am looking at too. Did you book your accommodations yet? i would love to have some tips.

and About the weight, I carry the least possible things. clothes that can be repeated and are quick dry.

The sleeping bag is 1lbs, sleeping mat is 1 lbs, other misc items can be 5lbs. Ultra light tent is good to have but i need to buy one too.

Stom_slo

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 15:39

Accommodations on the island or on the trail?

Well, I'm arriving to Bastia by ferry. Gonna spend the night there (or just afternoon) and head for the mountains afterwards. By train.

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 18:59

Did you hike locally with your pack filled prior to planning this out? Or did you simply workout to prep? I have a year to prep, I’ve been throughly reading reviews for gear and checking small companies for their outlet on sale gear. I am currently looking at Granite Gear for a pack, and six moon designs, z packs, tarptents for tents, I think I’ve found a set of trekking poles, a sleeping pad, but other than that I am still searching websites for the best deals I can get. I hope your hike is blissful and joyful.

--

Anneke

Posted: Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 12:27

@smartwentcrazy

Yes, I did a hike locally. I almost have my complete gear and I wanted to try it out. There is a forest with a spot for 'wild' camping. It's 12 km from my home, so I took my backpack (and my dog, although she's not coming to corsica with me) and I left at 18h. I walked for 3 hours, set up my tent, spend the night (didn't sleep much) and left the place at 6h30 in the morning and walked back. I learned a lot from this!

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 0:59

@Anneke

Thanks for the insight on how you prepared. I will embark on a similar short outing adventure in Kansas City, probably take my dogs as well, and get a better idea on what to expect in terms of what things I need or do not need. I hope the sleep is decent though! I last camped without a sleeping pad and hardly slept as well, so I will make the invest this time, even though I think its ridiculous to spend money on such a thing.

--

neha rathore

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 14:52

thats amazing guys... I have done grand canyon rim to rim hike, and few others multi day hikes in US. I did learn how to bring down the weight of my bag eventually :)

Are we allowed to put up a tent anywhere on the trail? I was under the impression that we can only camp int he assigned campgrounds or refuges?

Anneke

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 18:00

@smartwentcrazy

I didn't spend that much money on a sleeping pad. I payed €30 (don't know what that is in dollars). It's not the best, but it's enough for me. I slept on it for 2 weeks in south-africa, where there are a lot of rocks and no grass. It blows itself up and gets to about 3 cm thick.

@neha rathore

I read somewhere that wildcamping is not allowed. But if I don't get to the camping place by dark, then I'm staying somewhere near the path too.

Stom_slo

Posted: Sun, Jun 17, 2018, 22:27

Someone here on the forum once said that you can get fined if they see you wild camping. It's always better to play by the rules i guess.

@neha rathore
Oh, nice. That must have been quite an adventure.

@smartwentcrazy
Seeing you're from the USA, you could have a look at Hyperlite, Gossamer Gear etc for UL stuff. Some amazing smaller companies out there.

I've been hiking regionally this weekend. To test new gear. There's some room for improvement still - not UL enough. Since I won't eat at refuges, it's food that adds up.

SmartWentCrazy

Posted: Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 21:25

@Stom_slo

Thank you for the referrals, I have been looking at various companies the past few weeks, mainly for a solo or duo tent, a 60L backpack, and I have yet to find anything that has completely sold me, these two sites will help my search, and so far I am liking the tents by Gossamer. Hyperlite packs seem a tad too pricey for my likings, but nevertheless more options have risen thanks to you. I just bought a pair of Leki Micro Vario Ti Cortec Trekking poles, and a Klymit insulated Static V sleeping pad today, from a small company out of Pennsylvania called BackCountryEdge. Both items were on sale for fathers day! I Saved $45.

--