Mare e Mare Centre

bart2218

Posted: Tue, May 29, 2018, 10:46

Hi, i have a few questions about this route i hope someone could help us.

We are looking for a book where this route is in? preferably in English.
Is it also possible on Corsica to send some baggage to the end of the route like to a camping or something, and if so how do you do that?
We are walking in August is it smart to book the gite or can we just walk to there and stay there?

Thanks,
Bart

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, May 29, 2018, 11:00

Hello,
The book that I use is the Corse...Entre mer et montagne... FF Randonnee Topo guides....... a guidebook that has all the routes inside...linear maps, refuge data with phone numbers. Short French sentences that are easy to get the gist of....no problem.
I also have the Guidebook of Gillean Price ..Cicerone...the copy that have doesn't have the MM Centre...maybe an updated copy will have?
I think that I got them both from Standfords on-line.
The camping that we used at the end of the route was in Porticcio...camping@UPrunelli maybe you could contact them.
We just carried our kit with us since we intending to camp where possible en route.
Went in September...quiet.... but maybe it is not a too busy route.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2018, 6:45

Hello Bart.
I am also walking the Mare a Mare Centre, from Pont Abatescu to Col de St George, then linking up with the Tra Mare e Monti Sud to Porto Pollo.
I will be starting on June 4th and my preparations are now complete.
The guide book mentioned by Gaffr is useful, but if the Mare a Mare Centre is well marked like the other Corsican trails all you would really need are the relevant maps.
IGN TOP 25, numbers 4253, 4252 ,4153 cover the route. Some additional information on the trail can be found on this trip report.http://art.simon.tripod.com/MareAMare/
I'll take it you have phone numbers for the gite d'etapes.
The Bella Vista gite d'etape at Cozzano offers luggage transfers to and from the village. Check out their website.
.http://www.gitecozzanohebergementcorse.com
Lastly, If you're walking with a group, I'd book your first night well in advance. The gite at Serra di Fiumorbu is only a small one, 18 beds. Also the gite at Guitera-les-Bains has only 18 places.
Generally though, you should be ok to book one day in advance. The gite gardien's are usually happy to phone through for your next overnight. If you'd like someone else to take care of arrangements, have a look at http://www.corsica-aventure.com/gb/
They would, for a price, organise everything.
I hope it all works out for you.
Steve.

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2018, 6:47

Hello Bart.
I am also walking the Mare a Mare Centre, from Pont Abatescu to Col de St George, then linking up with the Tra Mare e Monti Sud to Porto Pollo.
I will be starting on June 4th and my preparations are now complete.
The guide book mentioned by Gaffr is useful, but if the Mare a Mare Centre is well marked like the other Corsican trails all you would really need are the relevant maps.
IGN TOP 25, numbers 4253, 4252 ,4153 cover the route. Some additional information on the trail can be found on this trip report.http://art.simon.tripod.com/MareAMare/
I'll take it you have phone numbers for the gite d'etapes.
The Bella Vista gite d'etape at Cozzano offers luggage transfers to and from the village. Check out their website.
.http://www.gitecozzanohebergementcorse.com
Lastly, If you're walking with a group, I'd book your first night well in advance. The gite at Serra di Fiumorbu is only a small one, 18 beds. Also the gite at Guitera-les-Bains has only 18 places.
Generally though, you should be ok to book one day in advance. The gite gardien's are usually happy to phone through for your next overnight. If you'd like someone else to take care of arrangements, have a look at http://www.corsica-aventure.com/gb/
They would, for a price, organise everything.
I hope it all works out for you.
Steve.

bart2218

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2018, 11:18

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the information!
I called a few of the Gite and already made the reservation so we are sure we can stay there. I only have 1 problem because the phone number i found of the first Gite is not working. When i try to call 04 95 56 75 48 it says it is not avaiable? Did you use another phone numer? or do you maybe know where to find the correct number?
And one more thing is there a exact location where the starting point/the starting board is like on google maps or something i know its close to a river bridge few km south of Ghissinaccio but i cant find that river or that bridge.

Thanks,
Bart

Gaffr

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2018, 16:45

Hello,
Easy for us ...we came on the bus from Bastia...the driver knows the bridge for the MM centre start.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2018, 18:21

Hello Bart.
I also had problems with that number. Disconnected, it would seem.
I rang the following number at around 6pm B.S.T and got straight through to book my overnight stay. 00 33 681 046 949
The trailhead for the Mare a Mare Centre is right next to the Pont de l'Abutesco, heading west up a small lane, easy to find on my IGN map. The bridge is a designated stop for the Bastia- Porto Vecchio bus, which I'll be catching from Prunette. I haven't tried to find it on satellite maps, paper is what I use.
Thanks Gaffr, good to see you've got your decorum back.
Steve.

bart2218

Posted: Wed, May 30, 2018, 20:53

Hello,

Thanks allot for the help! both of you!
Gonna try and ring the new number this friday with a French friend.
I also found the start of the trail.

Just one more question:
We arrive late in the evening on saturday in Bastia airport, is it possible to take a bus on sunday? or do we need to wait a day untill monday or take taxi?

Thanks!

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2018, 4:49

Hello SD,
Apologies for my agricultural language....I stay in the middle of a sheep farm here where rough language is prevalent. It is extremely annoying when 'these Robots' butt into a site, where there is no monetary gain for anyone here, merely a Forum to exchange views and experiences on L'ile de Beaute.

--

Gaffr

Steve Dan

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2018, 6:38

Hello again Bart.
From mid June until mid September the Bastia-Porto Vecchio bus runs every day, even on Sundays. 8.30 a.m from Bastia, arriving at the Pont de l'Abutesco at 10.30 a.m check out
www.corsicabus.org for island transport.
When you get to Porticcio, a great way to finish off the trip would be to take the maritime shuttle over to Ajaccio, for your onward journeys. Avoid taxis if you can, very, very expensive in Corsica.

Gaffr, no need for apologies, working in the construction industry, I am also well used to agricultural / industrial language. I'd say your comments were very apt, and Michele 's hard work at fending off this barrage of rubbish hasn't gone unnoticed. Many thanks to him.
Steve.

Gaffr

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2018, 6:51

I agree that the Maritime Navette is very useful for getting to Ajaccio....a fine wee trip across the bay.

At the end of our walk we wanted to get to the Zonza area... out to the bus to the airport to hire a motor for a few days...did what we wanted to do at a few places on our way back to Bastia Poretta...dropped off the motor...then home.

--

Gaffr

bart2218

Posted: Thu, May 31, 2018, 15:22

Hello,

Thanks for the site with bus times! i see there that we can also buy tickets online!
That is nice because we arrive late in the evening and have no time to buy tickets for the next morning.

Thanks for all the help!