Route advise for 6-7 days

Julija_v

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 9:37

Hello!
Me and my friend will appreciate any good advice for the best route plan given the following input:

1) the aim is to do part of GR20, but we have never been in Corse before, so wouldn't like to miss "must-see" places (sightseeing) and small rest on sea side (1-2 days max) on our way to and from the route.
2) we are arriving at Bastia at 21:00 on September 4.
3) On September 5 we thought having some walk in Bastia (1st half of the day) and then leave (train or bus) to some stage of GR20. Stay for night and start going next day.
4) Plan is to spend 7 days on the route until Sept 12th (or 6 days and leave one day earlier).
5) On Sept 13th morning leave camp and go for South (sea beach, Porto Vechio?) and have some rest.
6) On Sept 14th in the midst of day leave (bus or train?) to Ile-Rousse.
7) On Sept 15th take ferry at 7:30 for Nice (our plane is same day at 18:25).. Can one rely on ferries not being late/cancelled in Corse? :)
Will be grateful for all tips as to where to start and finish GR20, how best to get there and where would advise to stay for sighseeing/see rest.

Many thanks!
Julija

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 11:30

Sounds like a realistic schedule and good program, except for the "Porto Vecchio" part (IMHO a very ugly town, surrounded by overcrowded beaches in a dull landscape...). The old Bastia citadel is pretty, just as much as the one in Calvi, or Corte, or...

From Bastia, the only direct access to the GR20 is the Vizzavona train station (various lodges and hotels there). Any other option involves connecting buses/taxis and/or extra walking, thus much time wasted. Once at Vizzavona, if both weather and physical fitness allow, you're 6 to 7 days from both the northern and southern ends of the GR.

IMHO I'd rather go for the northern half (more mountainous, literally breathtaking ;)) if leaving from Calvi/Île-Rousse - spares you from wasted time in a bus/train + there are many beaches and cute villages along that northwestern coast (the Aregno and Davia beaches are lovely and served by tram) :) If going for the southern half, resorts on the Sari/Favone/Fautea/Conca shore are nice and there are daily buses to Bastia etc. there.

--

Geology in Corsica

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 12:58

Hello SQFP,
Cala Rossa beach is not crowded....quite close to Porto Vecchio. :-)

--

Gaffr

Julija_v

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 13:55

Dear SQFP and Gaffr,

Thank you for responses! After having read several report, I'm both hands for Northern Route :)
About beaches - the idea about Southern beaches (Santa Giulia etc) came to me after surfing on internet.. tripadviser etc. But having seen none by myself, I decided to ask on this site :)

Aregno and Davia looks very nice and probably good choice from location point of view given that we intend to do Northen part, ferry to Nice leaves from Ile-Rousse and we are not sure about car renting (more inclined to use public transportation/taxi no other choice).

I've read that weather is unpredictable on the route - is it same for coastal part of the island? I mean midst of September is still nice and sunny beach season or should we beware of rains either?

Is it easy to exit the route at any stage on Northern Part or only certain stages?

Regards,
Julija

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 15:18

Hello,
Just thinking about exits on the Northern Stages.

From Piobbu and Carozzu both have their own paths descending to Bonifatu.
Ascu has a road down to Ponte Leccia.
From Auberge Vallone path to walk down to Calisima close to Albertacce.
Verghio has a road going both East and West.
From close to Manganu (Vaccaghja) a path to connect to Sega refuge and to Corte.
From Tolla between P Piana and l'Onda path / trail from where the train can be reached.
From Vizzavona Train to Bastia or to Ajaccio.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 15:28

September-October is definitely the best time of the year. Sunny and warm along the coasts, mostly dry and bearable (at last!) in the mountains, save for the sporadic, few-hours-lasting rain-and-thunderstorms ready to kill any hiker dumb enough to ignore weather forecasts. A light raincoat helps.

Public transportation is the hassle-free solution from June to October, just make sure you check the routes and timetables in advance on corsicabus.org (most lines will operate on sundays too). From any point of the GR20 North (see above) you can walk down to "civilized grounds" in about half a day then hitch a ride, or just reach the Vergio or Ascu shelters then take a bus from there. Make sure you have plenty of cash :)

--

Geology in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 17:52

There are also exits from the GR20 between Manganu and Petra Piana. Two very steep paths join and continue down to a car park at Grotelle. You can get a bus or hitch a lift from there to Corte.

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 16:57

You must be thinking of E Grotelle (the Restonica car and bus park, below the Capitellu/Melu lakes) rather than Vaccaghja.

--

Geology in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 17:53

SQPF - Grotelle - you're right - I edited my post above, thanks.

Julija_v

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 19:55

Biggest thanks! :) I feel much relieved now with all this info!

Julija_v

Posted: Sun, Jun 3, 2018, 19:55

Biggest thanks! :) I feel much relieved now with all this info!