GR20 Snow Detours - Pietra Piana to Manganu

Calum

Posted: Fri, Jun 8, 2018, 18:45

Hi everybody,

Great forum, thank you to everyone for posting, I have learned a great deal from all of the questions and answers.

My friend and I will be arriving in Vizzavona on June 11th, and had planned to walk North starting on the 12th. We do not have crampons, axes, or harnesses, or ropes. I found snow reports today (links are below) saying that there are still potentially dangerous sections between Piana and Manganu, and Tighjettu and Haut Asco.

Is there a low-altitude trail we can walk to connect Pietra Piana and Refuge de Manganu? I will take a bus if needed, but I would prefer to spend the time walking.

Alternatively, do you have recommendations for a guide who would rent us equipment and accompany us on this short notice through the two snowy sections?

Many thanks.

Snow reports:
http://www.le-gr20.fr/en/blog/what-s-the-snow-like-on-gr20.html
https://www.altre-cime.com/2018/05/neige-gr20-3/

Gaffr

Posted: Sat, Jun 30, 2018, 20:17

I would say a good decision. That wee descent gully on Monte D'oro has caused problems in the past. If an alternative is available sound practice in this case to come back to the descent from the Muratello area...and of course cold drinks available at the wee tea-house.

--

Gaffr

Gab

Posted: Sat, Jun 30, 2018, 20:17

The amount of flowers among the rocks amaze me. Are there many more pools on the southern side?

--

Gab

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 9:12

You have had the best of the waterworks on the descent through the cascades down to Vizzavona. Thereafter you have for much of the time be thankful for the few sources...the fine one that used in both directions up and down from bocca Palmento... much later at bocca Laparo a wee source. Lake Bastani on the way to Monte Renosu and a stream just before Col Verdi. A fine stream after leaving Asinau. Apart from a few damper areas before Alcudina and a stream near the final bocca before dropping down to Conca are all that I can recall. The plants are hardy in these areas. I found that the final camp at Paliri although very basic to be very scenic, elevation, rocks, colour, sea in the distance and just around the corner the superb Anima Damnata.

--

Gaffr