Refuge de Manganu to Bergeries de Grotelle

Michael_Zerbib

Posted: Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 9:32

Hello all.
I need your help with planning trip from Refuge de Manganu to Bergeries de Grotelle in the beginning of August.
Is it possible in one day through lake Goria? someone have experience regarding this route?
How long should it take?
Is special equipment is necessary?

Thanks a lot!

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 10:56

It takes about half a day.

With fine weather, the only difficulty comes with choosing where to cross the ridge - no gear needed, only time and caution! :)
Once at the Goria lake, you basically have two options: either through the Bocca di u Chjostru (the logical way, by climbing East then following a streambed down to the bergeries), or the Brèche de Goria (a 'breach' to the S regarded as the usual path in spite of steeper, scary rock slopes; use your hands)

--

Geology in Corsica

Michael_Zerbib

Posted: Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 11:30

Thanks for the answer.

I am not familiar with the names, can you please explain the two options and how can I recognize both of them?
Is the route signed?
maybe you know where can I get 1:25,000 maps

Thanks again.

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 11:47

Hello,
You will find this information on the French 1:25,000 map.... Monte D'Oro/Monte Rotondo.....4251 OT
I inherited these maps from my daughter after she walked the GR20....I think that she purchased the Maps (6) for the route from Standfords on line.

--

Gaffr

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 11:48

Hello,
You will find this information on the French 1:25,000 map.... Monte D'Oro/Monte Rotondo.....4251 OT
I inherited these maps from my daughter after she walked the GR20....I think that she purchased the Maps (6) for the route from Standfords on line.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 12:08

The path is well-defined between Manganu and the Goria lake, there are a few cairns (piles of stones) for general direction but no signs or marks that I can remember of.
Once at the lake, you'll easily notice the two passes above you to your east (no path, but a few cairns) and south (a tiny path with cairns).

You can buy 1:25k IGN "blue" topographic maps online and in many Corsican shops. Everything is available for free either on their site (Geoportail, e.g. https://tinyurl.com/gorialake ) or through their app.

--

Geology in Corsica