Toilet facilities | Corsica.forHikers.com

Toilet facilities

szuszka89@gmail.com

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 14:01

Hey Guys,
I going to GR20 on the September, 29. We are going to travel with our own tent but of course would be happy to use the Refuges facilities, if possible. From what I already read, end of September is already "off season". Do you know if the refuges are open till 10th of October - would it be possible to use showers and toilets?
Do you have any "hygiene hacks" to be used of the facilities are closed? :-)

Additionally, do you think it will be possible to still buy some food at the refuges at that time of the year?

Thank you in advance for your help :-)

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 14:40

The refuges might, or might not, be staffed as late as 10 October. Usually when there are no guardians present the water is disconnected and the pipes are drained. This prevents the pipes bursting when everything freezes in the winter. It also means no toilets or showers are available. If there is water nearby then a notice will direct you to it. You might need to carry water to some refuges. As for 'hygiene hacks', dig a hole a long way from the refuges and water supplies.

Stom_slo

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 15:14

I do hope people are using filters to purify water due to all the human/animal pollution near water sources. I haven't seen anyone mentioning filters here by the way.

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 17:39

It depends on which water sources you have to deal with. Sure, any water found on the GR or around refuges is likely contaminated by the inane amount of human feces etc. Everywhere else - that is, as soon as one ventures more than a hundred meters from the GR - the many man-made "sources" and fountains carefully built by the elders (now tended to by volunteers) should be perfectly safe.

Of course, common sense dictates not to drink river water running over a carrion or pile of poo...

--

Geology in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 21:05

I never used a filter. Not in Corsica. Not anywhere else. I judge for myself whether water is good or bad and I'm not the sort of person who gets ill easily. I played in the dirt when I was a child, which they say gives you the best protection.