Good idea for a route? Liaison du Bonifatu? | Corsica.forHikers.com

Good idea for a route? Liaison du Bonifatu?

violetta

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 11:10

Hey everybody,

I'm planning a hike on the GR20 and nearby with my friend Verena for just a couple of days. We have a tent and everything to sleep in it. Note that we're quite fit but not very experienced hikers. So this is kind of our initiation hike. I'd be very glad to get your opinion about my idea.

Park our hired car in Calenzana.

Two days on GR20 to Refuge de Carrozzu with tent.

Then Liaison du Bonifatu to Gite d'étape du Bonifatu (does anyone know this part? and how long it takes to get to the gite?)

and then keep hiking on the Mare i monti to Galeria.

Is there something I haven't thought of? Do we need snow or ice equipment?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 11:16

Walking out via Bonifatu is easy. A lot of visitors come by car and walk to Carrozzu and back just for a day walk. The hotel at Bonifatu is good. You can stay in the hotel, or in their gite, or camp. They have good food and drink.

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 12:17

Very nice trip; no snow gear needed there anymore.

The 'Tra Mare e Monti' path from Bonifatu to Tuarelli is long but easy, and has interesting panoramic views to offer. The second half of the path between Tuarelli and Galeria is annoying in comparison: once you cross the 'old bridge' you are walking either on a busy road or through dense shrubs...
The former 'TMM' path is a good alternative as it stays on the right bank of the river via Guaitella till the 5-Arch Bridge, at which point it is easy to reach Galeria via the awesome Fangu Delta and Beach nature reserve...

How do you intend to go back from Galeria to Calenzana?

--

Geology in Corsica

violetta

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 12:20

Thank you very much, GRRR 20 and SQFP!

We were thinking of hitchhiking... Or do you have a better alternative?

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 12:47

Hitchhiking is not always successful when it comes to 2+ people (except for pretty girls... can't figure why ;))

The bus line Porto-Calvi operates every day during the summer months (cf. corsicabus.org). The minibus stops at around 11:30am in front of the Galeria Tourist Office (the ugly "box" at the southern end of the 5-arch bridge, 2 miles from the village). For a few euros, the nice driver will drop you either at the Calenzana crossroads (south of Calvi Airpt, 5 miles from Calenzana), or at the airport itself (for taxis, GR20 hikers driving to Calenzana...), or wherever it pleases you if asking kindly. :)

--

Geology in Corsica

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 6:06

Hello,
I could be very wrong.....but when I read this....two days to Carozzu and down to Bonifatu etc.
I took it to mean that you would be travelling the first two stages of the GR20 staying overnight in Piobbu and on the second night at Carozzu and on the third day descending to Bonifatu?
These first two days, Piobbu and Carozzu, on the GR20 are quite tough especially when fresh out from home and loaded with a camping pack on your back.
Bonifatu can be reached in one day from Calenzana on the first stage of the TMM.
I have walked both of the good paths descending from both Piobbu and Carozzu to Bonifatu...these diverge a little way above Bonifatu.
I agree that the second stage of the TMM is long and on a hot day out from Bonifatu we chose to bivvy overnight at the Bocca di Lucca before descending to the Fango the following morning.
The stage between Galeria and Girolata is a very fine stage (4)....my favourite on the route...a pity not to travel along this stage.

--

Gaffr

violetta

Posted: Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 7:52

Thank you very much for your advise! Yeah, it could be a little hard to do the first two stages of the GR20, but I think, we're willing to try. After that, we can take a little pause and recover the day we walk down to Bonifatu (it's not that far, is it?). And then we'll see. If we've had enough we can walk back to our car and go to the beach, if not we can walk down to the Fango and continue on the TMM.

Gaffr

Posted: Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 8:48

From Carozzu down to Bonifatu around 4.5 Kls. From D'Ortu di U Piobbu down to Bonifatu around 6-7 Kls. When descending here we took a fine wee minor path rather than going down to the path junction....this was a grand section that brought us out to the river very close to the Bonifatu Auberge.
Yes of course if you want to return to your vehicle there is a bridge downhill from Bonifatu...cross over then there is a forest trail all the way back to Calinzana. There is an alternative rough path above the river down to the same place.....I came up that path once ....it was quite rough and awkward in sections.

--

Gaffr

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 19:19

Just a FYI:
Until further notice, hot meals are no longer served at Ortu di u Piobbu (the northernmost Refuge) for it is understaffed (afaik: Marie no longer works there, and only two PNRC employees are there part-time).

Of course all facilities - kitchen, dormitory, food supply - are operational; just bring your own food (or buy some there) and cook it yourself. :)

--

Geology in Corsica