I Cascittoni - Cirque de la solitude

Daisychain

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 7:36

I have just heard on local news that the Préfet has authorised the mayor of Manso to re-open I Cascittoni (cirque de la solitude) to EXPERIENCED mountaineers. It will NOT be reequipped (i.e. no ladders, chains, etc), it will NOT be part of the GR20 and it will be at the risk and peril of those venturing there. I'm not quite sure what the last point means because, presumably, mountain rescue teams may be called upon in case of incident.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 7:42

Thanks for the update, Daisychain. I'm sure it won't be the last we hear of i Cascittoni.

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 8:38

I went through three times when it was marked and had chains and a ladder. I wouldn't go through it at all without those aids. If it does 'open' again, I hope people realise that they have to be very experienced to go through it. You won't find me there!

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 8:56

The last point is imho mainly to emphasize that liability rests upon the mountain guides' shoulders, in case of mishap. They were the ones asking for a lift of any restriction.

--

Geology in Corsica

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 11:11

Yeah, I read the article. The guides ask for freedom, but in the end it all comes down to money.

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 12:17

The link to the news if anyone needs it -

https://www.corsematin.com/article/article/le-cirque-de-la-solitude-a-no...

Where would we be without Corse Matin? The GR20 keeps appearing on its front page.

Michele

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 12:53

... meanwhile at randoblogpnrc they keep sleeping .....

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 14:15

The PNRC posted some info recently (on Facebook): "please phone us for the latest news about the GR20". :D

OTOH, whatever they may write, or tell, or put online... there are always people to take risks no matter how many times you warn them (because they have too tight a schedule with hotels booked and a plane to catch, because they have no minutes to waste finding crampons, because they are afraid to look puny, etc. No big deal, let natural selection proceed :D as long as they don't bring other hikers with them in their fall...

--

Geology in Corsica

Daisychain

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 15:32

@SQFP: May I disagree? I think it is definitely the job of the Parc régional to post important news re snow or other conditions, after all they are supposed to be managing the GR20. Luckily, on this forum anyway, you have been able (and willing) to give a mass of information to anyone who reads English.

I looked up the Tour du mont blanc and found this website which seems to be official and which definitely gives up-to-date weather conditions.
http://www.autourdumontblanc.com/en/index.cfm/general-conditions.html
The Parc régional should do the same, even more especially since we are on a Mediterranean island and many people don't realise how serious the snow conditions can be. But if they see no special warning on the Parc website, why would they go looking elsewhere?
I had a query about transport options from a group from Eastern Europe for the 1st week in June and I pointed them to this Corsica for hikers forum because they had no idea about the snow.

Anyway, I imagine many hikers would thank you warmly for all the info you have been giving.

SQFP

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 17:20

@Daisychain: my remarks were sort of tongue-in-cheek. Keeping visitors posted (both online and in the field) is definitely part of their duty, but... given the rusty (may I say dirty?) inner workings of the PNRC I fear there is not much to expect from their side. Still, would they do a perfect job in this matter, there would always be many enthusiastic hikers to take any warning or advice lightly.

Mind you, it is now less than 24 hours since the announcement of the Solitude reopening *and* requiring extra skills and caution. There are already poorly-trained, ill-equipped, first-time-in-Corsica hikers asking around online whether the Cirque is free of snow (or will be in 2 weeks). I give it a month till the first rescue operation; 2 weeks if the weather remains as it is now.

--

Geology in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 19:09

GPS doesn't work inside the Cirque and anyone who tries to phone for a rescue will find that their phone doesn't work either.