Vegetarian on refuges ++

ShermanCostello

Posted: Mon, Jul 2, 2018, 10:17

Hey, new member here, sorry if this has been answered multiple times already...

I'm leaving for Corsica next Tuesday and really looking forward to it! Going the north part from Calenzana to Vizzavona.

Being a vegetarian, I'm a bit concerned about the dinner/breakfast options at the refuges. I'm not picky at all, anything will do really, but I really hope not having to eat meat.

Is there ususally a vegetarian option? Would it help if I send the refuges an email in advance asking them to prepare a veg meal?

PS1: I haven't booked a tent spot yet (traveling with my own tent). Is there any point in doing this up front or is there no difference if I pay the fee on the spot?
PS2: My french is almost non-existent. Will I get by with phrases from the guide book or should I do hardcore-studying the next days?

--

Best regards
Herman Lund

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jul 2, 2018, 11:34

There usually isn't a vegetarian option, but if you ask very, very nicely then they might make something for you. I forget which refuge it was, but the main meal was just rice with a bit of grated cheese on top, but with most meals the meat is mixed in with everything else so you can't separate it.

Normally you can manage with very basic French, but if you want to talk about vegetarian meal options then you really need to learn a lot more. The main thing is to be really polite with your requests and not get into an argument.

You don't need to book if you have your own tent. Go straight to the refuge guardian when you arrive and talk about everything from your tent to your meal requests.

ShermanCostello

Posted: Mon, Jul 2, 2018, 11:38

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Hmmmm... maybe there will be other international guests there who can help me with the translation? I guess not all travelers are French?

Do you think there is a point in emailing the refuges with this request up front?

--

Best regards
Herman Lund

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jul 2, 2018, 14:12

You never know - you might meet other vegetarians on the trail and maybe the one with the best French could negotiate a bulk deal on arrival at each refuge. There's no harm in asking and if the request is made pleasantly it might just work. I don't have a clue how you might email any of the refuges in advance. I think most of them communicate with the outside world by radio.

Austin

Posted: Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 15:15

Hermand,

You should be fine with breakfast as this will be bread, jam and coffee. Dinner cooked at the Refuges will contain meat and the wardens are not keen on doing anything but what they normally do. If you are staying at PNRC sites there will be a stove and if you are lucky some pots and pans. You can cook your own food, or take at least one plate/bowl and a pan to cook as this save you having to wait.

If you eat fish most refuges sell tins of sardines and or tuna. You may be able to buy bread or they may not have any. You will find the facilities very basic but you will survive I am sure. I would recommend you visit the SPAR shop in Calenzna to stock up on any essentials you cannot do without the next opportunity to get anything other than basics is Haut Asco then probably Vizzavona. We did the full north to south and got back on 1st of July.

Enjoy your trek!