south GR20 end of september

Anneke

Posted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018, 14:42

Hello! I am finished with planning! Now I can look forward to the trip!

I have made a schedule from nord to south and south to nord, but I think I'm going to take south to nord. If anyone wants to see the schedule (it's in dutch, but includes all stops, watersources, times, distances, ... so even if you don't speak dutch, it could be helpfull).

I was just wondering who is going around the same time. I'm ariving in Ajaccio on september 15 and I'll be leaving on september 26.

I'm a little stressed about getting to Conca, because I read that public transport really sucks, but I have no other options (I'm on u budget). If anyone could join me on that, please let me know!

How much cash should I take? I've red somewhere that 30 euros a day is enough. Is it? I will eat at the refuges, because I won't be carrying any food (except for snacks). I have my own tent.

Thank you for all the usefull information that is on this forum. I will definetly write a topic when I get back!

Anneke

Posted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018, 14:51

One other question: what to wear?
I was planning on wearing long pants (because of plants). But I now that it's summer, I don't want to wear those. On the other hand I am afraid my thighs will stick together and cause wounds when I wear shorts. Any advice?

Stom_slo

Posted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018, 17:49

I'm taking light long pants for early September. I prefer pants when hiking in mountains & woods. Take whatever you are comfortable with I guess.

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 2:05

30 euros a day is a bit on the low side, you'd better plan for 50-60 euros a day (or bring some food with you). It's €7 for pitching a tent + using the toilets, kitchen etc. (standard fee by the Natural Park). However food prices are unregulated and usually high: around €10 for breakfast ("petit déjeuner"), €20 for dinner, and then you have to buy groceries (or a sandwich) for lunch...

Here are prices at one of the Park refuges, last week:
https://reho.st/self/38556696a2969b6c4f104de8259957e9ec224547.jpg

The GR20 path itself is quite wide (trampled on by herds of hikers :)) mostly with bare soil/rock and vegetation-free, so shorts are an option. Still, you definitely want some light clothing with long legs and sleeves for the chilly/windy evenings.

edit: to avoid skin rash at points of friction, your average lip balm may work ;)

--

Geology in Corsica

Steve Dan

Posted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 6:28

Hi Anneke.
To solve the long pants/ shorts problem, I always wear a pair of zip off convertable pants.
Steve.

Steve Dan

Posted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 6:28

Hi Anneke.
To solve the long pants/ shorts problem, I always wear a pair of zip off convertable pants.
Steve.

GRRR 20

Posted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 6:54

It's better to take more money than you think you need. Leaving the route to find more money will cost you time and money.

Anneke

Posted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 18:30

Ok! Thanks for all the tips. For the shops, is it open early in the morning? Can I buy lunch and breakfast there?

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 20:00

Usually you would book your breakfast (and/or lunch: bring your own lunchbox) the evening before at dinner time, so that everything will be on the table when you show up early in the morning :) (everything = the basic bread/butter/marmelade/instant coffee stuff - don't expect fresh herrings and strawberry juice)

edit: sometimes, "early birds" would have eaten most of what was on the table... beware ;) That's why I usually carry my own supplies for breakfast - coffee sticks/tea bags, my cakes/biscuits/chocolate, some bread bought the day before, whatever... and it's less expensive anyway.

--

Geology in Corsica

Anneke

Posted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 8:09

Well, exactly. I thought of buying a baguette early in the morning. Then I can eat a part as breakfast and the other part as lunch and some cheese to go along with the bread. That won't be expensive!

SQFP

Posted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 10:02

If you leave very early in the morning (as in "5am, before sunrise, before the staff wakes up"), you'd better buy your bread and cheese and whatnot in the evening before. ;)

Oh and it's not your typical baguette, more like long-life bread (a bit spongy, not so tasty, but hey.)

Bon appétit, happy hiking!

--

Geology in Corsica

Waldo

Posted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 17:33

Hi Anneke,

I would like to see your schedule. Can you, please, send it to my email? (vlado.mino@gmail.com)

Thank you :-)

Anneke

Posted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 18:16

Email sent!

Kikī

Posted: Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 21:33

Hi Anneke!
I would be very appreciated if you could share your schedule. My email kristinekadasa@gmail.com.
Thank you!
Have a nice hiking in Corsica!

--

Kristine