camping and temperature mid September

emmaT

Posted: Tue, Jul 24, 2018, 13:29

Hi
I am walking the GR20 the 9th -23rd September
I have a couple of questions for those of you that have walked in previous years..

I do intend to camp along the route. Although the huts may still require booking does anybody know whether you can turn up for the camping spots without prior booking at this time..?

Also with regard to sleeping bag weight I am trying to work out which weight/season to take.
I have both summer and winter bags. And although the weather indications I have read say the (daytime) highs reach 25 at this time of year I've been unable to find the low temperature at night
Does anyone have experience mid september and advise on which bag to take?

many thanks

--

emmaT

SQFP

Posted: Tue, Jul 24, 2018, 14:12

I wouldn't book in advance if just pitching a tent outside. Even more so in september.

Thanks to the few automated mountain weather stations : during the first half of september at 2000m elev. (the altitude of the highest camping spot on the GR20, "Ciuttulu di i Mori"), coldest temperature is >8°C (that is, 95% of the time - such lows being not always at night); absolute lows of ~2°C have been reached two or three times over the last 4 years, lasting a few hours or up to a day in some places (due to daytime storms mainly).

If protected from strong winds, moisture, and in a tent, a 10°C Comfort would do, provided you also bring long-sleeved/-legged insulating clothes for hanging around on chilly evenings and for the occasional cold night. (Under good weather conditions, I routinely use a "11°C comfort" bag + bivvy bag + night clothing until late october when sleeping without a tent at moderate altitude, 1000~1600m elev.)

--

Geologist in Corsica

emmaT

Posted: Tue, Jul 24, 2018, 14:24

Hi SQFP

Thats great advice, thank you for your time
yes maybe the bag and bivvy is the best solution

emmaT

--

emmaT

SQFP

Posted: Tue, Jul 24, 2018, 14:33

The bivvy thing was just to give you a rough idea of what's feasible until late fall; I would not advise it on the GR, be it only for privacy (and pests) concerns :D
Your best help to face cold nights is still long warm clothing plus a tent, especially if you won't use the dormitories in case of bad weather.

--

Geologist in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 18:23

It doesn't matter where I look in Europe this year - I wouldn't dare to predict the weather.

emmaT

Posted: Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 18:27

I'll definitely be taking a tent
thanks again :)

--

emmaT

Alexander

Posted: Thu, Aug 16, 2018, 16:18

Hi SQFP!
I would like to ask you about tempterature in early October. Would it be much colder in a comparison to mid September? Is there a site to check monthly averages. Thank you!

Michele

Posted: Thu, Aug 16, 2018, 19:20

SQFP

Posted: Fri, Aug 17, 2018, 11:04

There is no easily available long-term information for mountainous areas... Climatological data for coastal cities is of no interest as the relief is the main controlling factor over local climate. Similarly it is unreliable to extrapolate weather trends from one month to another, for weather on the island is impacted by many regional, short-term extreme events.

Two "Nivôse" automated weather stations deliver temperature/wind hourly data at two mountain sites... However this raw data must be interpreted in order to give significant statistical insights. For example:
At the Vergio station (elev. 2000m), over the last 5 years (2013-2017), for the first 15 days of October, 95% of measurements were over 4°C while the lowest single value recorded was -3°C.

--

Geologist in Corsica

Mewria

Posted: Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 14:52

Hi, SQFP!

Is it possible to find the statistical data from those stations online?