Gas stoves

jonasvereeken

Posted: Sat, Aug 4, 2018, 8:52

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place for this question but I'm travelling to Corsica by plane (Air Corsica) and the website states all kinds of camping stoves (even without fuel/gas) as forbidden objects. I know in other airlines this has never been prohibited. Does anyone have experience with this? I have a small spider camping stove so maybe the security doesn't recognise it as a stove since it's so small?

I read on these forums that there are gas fires available at refugees to cook. Is this any good and enough to not bring a stove yourself? Can I rely on them?

Thank you!

GRRR 20

Posted: Sat, Aug 4, 2018, 9:27

Try taking a home-made alcohol stove. They never look like stoves in the X-ray machine.

SQFP

Posted: Sat, Aug 4, 2018, 13:14

This regulation is due to people forgetting to properly clean/purge their stoves. With air safety, whenever it smells of gas any flight would be delayed for inspection - either it's a leaking bomb, or just some careless hiker who did not know how to properly purge a gas stove. That's why companies just forbid them altogether, saves time and drama.

If you really need your stove, ship it in advance to your destination, or go for the Esbit ones (lightweight solid fuel stove, no issue with fuel tabs or gear in checked luggage, as long as it's properly packed in hermetic bags). Any paying guest of PNRC refuges is entitled to use the hotplates for cooking, anyway.

--

Geology in Corsica

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 5, 2018, 7:01

Hello,
Have travelled to Corse several times for the multi day walks, not using Air Corsica, and have always taken my gas stove on the flight but of course without any gas can attached.
At Edinburgh or at Manchester airport the person on the 'outsize baggage desk' asks about stoves etc.and has always been happy with my reply that no gas can is included.
Most, if not all refuges and at other locations, have outside gas stoves to cook on. Have usually found these to be crowded areas so useful to have your own facility. Have used the provided gas stoves at Col Vergio and at Manganu.

--

Gaffr

Stom_slo

Posted: Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 5:54

Has anyone travelled by ferry to Corsica from Italy?

I'm seeing conflicting reports about bringing camping gas onboard in vehicles. I can't find any sources how they treat backpackers without a car.

Do they care about stuff like that? Should I declare it or not? Will they confiscate it?

It's 230g of Jetboil fuel in my backpack. Worst case scenario they take it, hopefully Calvi/Calenzana stores will have some cans.

Michele

Posted: Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 6:40

Stom_slo, I always travelled by ferry (from Livorno) and nobody ever cared. And I did have a couple of gas canisters. You should not worry about your gear.

Stom_slo

Posted: Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 6:46

Thanks for quick reply :) Fingers crossed everything will be OK.

Did you mention that you're carrying it at boarding? Did you have to open your backpack or something?

Michele

Posted: Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 8:01

I went with my car. I booked online. I took my car inside the ferry and they didn't even check my identity. I just showed them the registration code and I was good to go. I had 2 gas canisters with me while boarding.

koubin

Posted: Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 17:05

Hey. Airlines say something, but the x-ray is done by the airport crew, so i would check airport website for forbidden items if you are not sure. Personally i thing stove without gas and with no sharp edges over 6cm should not be a problem.

I did fly with Eurowings a few days ago and they stated no knives at all, but checked with Vienna airport and up to 6cm blade is ok.

jonasvereeken

Posted: Sat, Sep 29, 2018, 14:35

Update; we had no problems with our stove, so indeed airlines say one thing but the airport doesn't always say the same :)