Piana, Otta, and Evisa

lynne balcony

Posted: Sun, Aug 5, 2018, 15:56

Hi!

We are going to Corsica from mid-September to early October. Though we originally planned to hike Tra Mare a Monte, we now would rather start off at a base town, and explore via day hikes. It looks like Piana, Otta,and Evisa are great places to use as a base and explore from there.

1. Can we get from Calvi to Porto by bus? Would this bus run in September/October?

2. Could we rent a car in Porto in order to get to Piana , Otta or Evisa?

3. Is the driving really treacherous in this area?

I have been studying the bus tables etc but can't seem to make out an easy bus route. I do speak French so I would be able to ask questions once in Corsica, but I'd like to set out a basic plan first.

Any suggestions for areas to visit, day hikes, or accommodations gratefully accepted. I am especially concerned with logistics since people are telling me you absolutely need a car to get around. I don't mind using a car for short distances, but want to avoid long drives on very narrow roads.

Thanks so much for a terrific website!

Lynne

--

lynne

SQFP

Posted: Sun, Aug 5, 2018, 20:03

Hi, and welcome to the nicest part of the island! I've spent countless weeks in the area, and almost never used a car. Hiking is nicer, sometimes as fast (e.g. Evisa-Ota: 30mn drive, 40mn hike) and for everything else there are buses, taxis, or hitchhiking ;)

1/ The seasonal service between Calvi and Porto operates no later than the last days of September, see corsicabus.org for fares and timetables. It's a 3-hrs drive in a 15-seats minibus on a sinuous road...

2/ There is no car rental agency in Porto, which is actually a seaside hamlet of Ota; however you might easily rent a car in Calvi. Also keep in mind that Ota-Evisa-Piana are within walking distance of each other, the area is full of hiking paths... there's no absolute need for a car. And there are bus lines from Evisa/Ota to Ajaccio year-round.

3/ Driving around is no big deal, especially off-season when most campers/RV/tourist buses have left; just take your time, and please park whenever local drivers are in a hurry! :)

Accommodation options are many in the area, it's even a centuries-old tradition (just like taxi services). Tourist hotels/bungalows/campgrounds in Porto, two cozy "gîtes"-restaurants in Ota offering both private rooms and dormitories, and some hotels and gîtes in Evisa as well. Too many things to see and visit around these villages - just look at the topographic maps ( geoportail.fr ) to pick any purple-coloured panoramic spot or hiking path :)

--

Geology in Corsica

lynne balcony

Posted: Sun, Aug 5, 2018, 20:29

SQFP,

Thanks so much for this info. It really helps to narrow my focus onto this area near Porto.

We plan to stay into October, so getting back to Calvi would be tricky as the bus service stops in September. As an alternate route, could we take the bus from Ota down to Ajaccio and fly/ferry back to France from there.

You mentioned taxi service. Are there taxis available for short trips in this area?

Thanks so much for your reply. This is a terrific site and so helpful.

--

lynne

SQFP

Posted: Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 0:02

As can be seen on corsicabus.org, there is a bus service between Ota/Porto/Piana and Ajaccio, on weekdays, year-round (the same for Marignana/Evisa to Ajaccio). The bus drops you in front of the ferry terminal. By the way, flights are more numerous and usually cheaper from Ajaccio.

If the minibus timetables do not work for you, taxi is certainly convenient - if a bit expensive - to move around, transfer luggage between villages, drop you/fetch you somewhere nearby in the mountains, whatever... The ones I know to be friendly and flexible, especially off-season when activity gets scarce: in Ota, the hotel/dorm/restaurant "Gîte Chez Marie" (a.k.a. "Bar des Chasseurs") also provides taxi service; in Evisa, Jean-Do Ceccaldi works as a taxi driver - just google it.

--

Geology in Corsica