Scale hiking charts Mare a Mare Nord

Swalker

Posted: Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 16:56

Does anybody have experience with hiking on Corse Mare A Mare Nord on scale maps 1:50.000? Are those sufficient enough to walk the trail MMN or should I buy 1:25.000? I'd say if the trail is well marked 1:50.000 should be oké (already have those) but is the trail really well marked?

Michele

Posted: Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 19:12

You are right when you say "if the trail is well marked 1:50000 should be ok". I don't have any direct experience with this trail but I remember sometime ago someone mentioned that some parts of these secondary trails in Corsica often become overgrown with bushes or something (therefore covering the trail).
If I were you I'd carry a gps unit with maybe this track https://it.wikiloc.com/percorsi-escursionismo/corsega-mare-a-mare-nord-1... (of which I cannot vouch its quality) and use your 1:50000 map as a reference.

--Michele

Gaffr

Posted: Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 19:22

Hello,
When we went to the MM Nord in 2008 we had the French Topo guide that had linear maps included and plenty of each stage breakdowns.
Also we had the 1:100,000 IGN Map 175 Bastia/Corte that gave us the wider picture. All of the Corsican multi day routes are marked on the two 1 cm to each kilometer maps...just two for the whole of Corse.
Really all that we needed for the route. We had no problems following the trail...from what I recall the paint splodges were orange and also many signposts.

--

Gaffr

Swalker

Posted: Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 20:02

Hello there!

I was already planning to take my gps, (just in case) but then one depends very much on power (don't know if that's obvious in the gites de refuges (?).

Didn't know about the Topo Guides. Ordered one, the 065. Looks very useful with trail descriptions and 1:25.000 detailed maps!

Many thanks for your replies, very helpfull!

--Piet--

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 5:24

Hello,
The French topoguide 065 is the one that we used for all of the Multi day routes on the island apart from the GR20.
We used a mixture of tent and refuge on the MM Nord and on all of our trips along the routes on the island and at that time had neither phone or GPS so didn't need to think about power supplies for recharging devices.
The first 3-4 stages are a pleasant walk through rural Corse...at Sermano the mountains come into view and after Corte you then are entering the higher terrain.

--

Gaffr

Swalker

Posted: Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 7:49

Thanks again Gaffr. I'll see what to do when the guide comes in. If I think it's sufficient I won't be taking the gps.

Piet--

Gaffr

Posted: Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 11:47

Hello,
Just looked at the topoguide....the map scale of the linear maps provided in the book is 1:50,000....just measured the squares that are 2cms....so 2cms for each Kilometere. Unless of course that the scale of maps in the current 065 has been changed to 1:25,000?

--

Gaffr

Psychedelicandy

Posted: Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 15:34

I've walked this route twice now (2016 and 2018) and found it well marked by orange paint flashes and wooden signposts throughout. I took IGN TOP75029 and IGN TOP75030 at 1:75,000 scale which shows the route in detail, but found I only referred to them when interested in gaining a bigger picture of my environment - not for actual way-finding. There's also a good free app called Geoportail which contains IGN maps at a wide range of scales - including the Mare a Mare Nord route when zoomed into the correct scale.

Swalker

Posted: Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 22:57

Thanks again for all the info. I'll see what the Topo guide has, it'll come in tomorrow. Some reviews said the scale should be 1:25.000. Let you know as soon as I have it in.
And it's good to read the trail is well marked, that's most important.

-- Piet---