Narrow ridges

Riconika

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 11:45

Hi all who has done GR20 already. We are doing north to south in less than 3 weeks. Could you please tell me, if there are any narrow ridges to cross and if they are, how bad they are?

--

Vero

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 14:02

Hello,
Don't recall many of these and those that there are are of short duration.
Mainly a very fine walk amongst a variety of fine landscapes.
The most alpine section is between manganu and Petra piana but here there is much to enjoy.
The problem that most of us have is having the heavy Albatross on our backs.... Keep the weight down of whatever is carried in the rucksack.

--

Gaffr

Riconika

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 14:17

Gaffr, would you compare it to Crib Goch in Snowdonia or is it less "narrow"?

--

Vero

Gaffr

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 15:07

Hello,
I had a stay in that area for a holiday in 1964 and spent a lot of time on the crags and tops in the area. We were camped at the top of the Pass...probably not allowed these days?
I recall going up and down the Crib Goch....one wee narrow section on a day without wind it was a nice section...one foot on each side of the almost level (roof apex) ridge when moving...don't recall anything like that in Corse. Of course those of us that live in the Highlands are fairly used to rocky ridges. :-) There are so many on the North side of Ben Nevis, in Glencoe and on Skye and Arran etc.

--

Gaffr

Riconika

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 15:20

Gaffr,

thank you for that. Crib Goch was a bit too much for me and I've been worrying that I will have to do something similar on GR20. I dont mind some scramble and crossing the ridge, as long as i got a bit of a space around me.

--

Vero

Michele

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 15:21

No, Gaffr, I don't remember ridges like those either (I googled them up). Vero you should be fine.

Riconika

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 15:29

Thank you!! :) Feeling much better now :)

--

Vero

GRRR 20

Posted: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 23:14

Thousands walk the GR20 each year and most have never been anywhere near Crib Goch. In fact for some people the GR20 is their first trail. It's no stroll in the park. Is actually quite difficult, but keep in mind that thousands complete it and there's no reason why you shouldn't be one of them.

crownharemeadow

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 9:42

Hi Vero, I've done Crib Goch before and I did the 1st 6 stages of the GR20 in June. In my opinion, Crib Goch was way way more scary, particularly with any wind. Even without wind, I always have a strange urge to step off edges...
There was nothing like that in the bit of the GR20 that I did, it was something I was worried about.

Riconika

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 12:40

Hi, thank you. I did Crib Goch in preparation for Dolomites and I got so scared up there that it has literally messed my head up. Glad to hear, that GR20 is not like that.

--

Vero