GR20 on my own

zsmerczak

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 8:44

Hi All

I am hiking the North side of the GR 20 over 6 days. I am doing this on my own. I am a (call it) moderate hiker - Kilamanjaro, Otter Trail South Africa etc... but I have been told I should (1) have a guide (2) under no circumstance hike on my own.

Question:
1) Is a guide necessary? Or assuming I have a map, phone and can see the markings I dont need one?
2) Assuming I appreciate the risks of injury is it absolutely impossible to hike it on my own? Or is there enough traffic on the path that you should eventually have someone to assist in the event of injury.

Of course hiking in bad weather is just stupid and I would never do that.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Zak

zsmerczak

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 8:45

Forgot to mention its over 1st week of October 2018

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 10:21

1/ You don't need a guide. You don't even need a map actually, if you just follow the path and abundant markings (and go back whenever you have lost them) and avoid being lost in fog.
2/ As you're doing it during the high/shoulder season (may-oct) and as long as you stay on the path, you'll never be "on your own" - it is quite crowded :)

--

Geologist in Corsica

GRRR 20

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 11:49

I always hike on my own in Corsica - on and off the GR20. I take my safety very seriously. I always take a map, but it is true that you don't need one on the GR20. For me, a map is interesting just to read.

SQFP

Posted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 22:15

A map is indeed nice to have, if only for mind-wandering or putting a geographical name on sweet remembrances :)

--

Geologist in Corsica